Road rules.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

The thing that gets me is that they demand courtesy from everyone but show nothing in return.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

I learned something new today, where a person in a car parked on the wrong side of the  road, and then attempting to do a U turn expected  me to yield to him/her  and when I  just didn’t do what he wanted me to do blasted his horn at me.

The only reason I mention this is because I have always told my gf that has only been driving for 2 years that if she follows the rules then it takes the confusion out of driving 

which includes people flashing their lights at you to intimidate you to stopping for them because they are so important, or important in their own mind.

If only we could install ROO bars on our Suv’s.

I don't drive here, and one of the main reasons is the driving style here.  The example of flashing lights is a great case in point - in the UK a quick flash of the lights means go ahead, here the opposite.  I have come to the conclusion that the driving culture is directly correlated to the overall culture.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I have come to the conclusion that the driving culture is directly correlated to the overall culture.

Oh Yes! ME ME ME First 

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Most countries have road rules, PI has suggestions. 

AM does most of the driving now, I generally can't be bothered. 

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

I don't drive here, and one of the main reasons is the driving style here.  The example of flashing lights is a great case in point - in the UK a quick flash of the lights means go ahead, here the opposite.  I have come to the conclusion that the driving culture is directly correlated to the overall culture.

Yes, it took me a while to figure that one out. That and a lot of other things. When in Rome I suppose.

• Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

A older expat was shot/killed due to Road Rage, in Thailand last week .......

So when it comes to use of horn or flashing headlights, I mostly avoid doing either.  Only in real possibly dangerous situation, like someone plan doing a u-turn, while I approach in high speed on motorcycle. For that reason alone, I added extra lights so I'm easier to be seen.

The native seems to love using their horn for any reason, but seldom in a aggressive manner, imo. I avoid rush hour when possible.

Estimate I had 70,000 km+ on the road in RP pre C19, some near misses, but no accidents, and still here to tell about it.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Oh Yes! ME ME ME First 

Jack, I think you put your finger on it. 

We look at things through a Western lens. Why do you think so many Filipinos think this way and aggressively push forward of others seemingly without regard? 

• Like 4