Smell of a dead rat in the ceiling.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of that smell?

TIA

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It happens when you, or someone near you, is using rat poison.  Often the rats die in the ceiling.  If you cannot get the body out don't worry.  The smell will be gone in a week or so in Philippine climate.  

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of that smell?

TIA

Short of tracking the dead body down you're screwed until nature takes it's course. I had rats in my loft apartment for a while so cut a hole out and placed a glue trap. It worked and trapped two rats, unfortunately I only discovered them when the smell hit. By the time I removed the rats they were oozing body fluids and giving off a lovely aroma. 

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It happens when you, or someone near you, is using rat poison.  Often the rats die in the ceiling.  If you cannot get the body out don't worry.  The smell will be gone in a week or so in Philippine climate.  

Yup.  Easiest course is to hold your nose until your local ant cleaning service gets it zeroed in on and goes to work. Quick disassembly and removal in almost all organic cases. No charge for the service.

In 2010 we were living in new apt., and the wife complained of a bad odor. We  couldn't locate the source. It went away after several days. A few weeks later, I spotted a small gecko skeleton in the door jamb near the hinges. It was stripped as clean as a museum display, and had no odor anymore.

Avalon
Posted
Posted

I use the cage type traps with the trapdoor so the rat is caught live on the occasions we've had rats in the roof.  Then I drop it in the back of the Hilux and let it go on open farmland nearby.  Saves the odour of a dead rat and the karma to boot.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 1/14/2023 at 2:39 PM, manofthecoldland said:

Yup.  Easiest course is to hold your nose until your local ant cleaning service gets it zeroed in on and goes to work. Quick disassembly and removal in almost all organic cases. No charge for the service.

In 2010 we were living in new apt., and the wife complained of a bad odor. We  couldn't locate the source. It went away after several days. A few weeks later, I spotted a small gecko skeleton in the door jamb near the hinges. It was stripped as clean as a museum display, and had no odor anymore.

That is good info... However, after the dead rats, you will have billions of ants! So you will need ant poison/bait too! Then the geckos and tukos will go for the ants they also make some noise but are generally not unruly. Just make sure that, if you sleep on your back, you keep your mouth closed!

• Haha 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Just make sure that, if you sleep on your back, you keep your mouth closed!

Never say NO, to a free meal :laugh:

• Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Don't worry, the ant's will clean up the dead rat maybe some roaches too.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Get a cat - the cat will kill the rat before it becomes an issue!

We have 4 and no rodent problem (that said, only 1 of them actually earns her keep) .  I just need to train them to go for the ants and roaches too now - oh, and to stop her leaving the half-eaten carcases as gifts on the doorstep. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's great idea... 

But for me... I am allergic to cats. And I don't like cats anyway--- "touch me now... but not there, not with that, not that way... " I will stick with dogs...

Edited by Tommy T.