Abduction of Cebu development workers

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

There is a video of these workers being forced into a car but there are several people watching who do nothing.  Well done :shock_40_anim_gif:

Read the story and watch the video here as difficult to post.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2023/01/16/2238027/ilo-urged-look-apparent-abduction-cebu-development-workers

• Sad 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

There is a video of these workers being forced into a car but there are several people watching who do nothing.  Well done :shock_40_anim_gif:

Read the story and watch the video here as difficult to post.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2023/01/16/2238027/ilo-urged-look-apparent-abduction-cebu-development-workers

This is hard to comment on without publicly disparaging someone other than to say the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.  Or just coincidence?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

union organizers Dyan Gumanao&Armand Dahoya

Said one of the commenters.  So Union busting is a thing here.  I suspected as much.  Not much support for Unions in the Philippines.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

This is hard to comment on without publicly disparaging someone other than to say the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.  Or just coincidence?

25A615F0-76D6-4416-9BBC-B63B631739CA.jpeg

• Haha 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Said one of the commenters.  So Union busting is a thing here.  I suspected as much.  Not much support for Unions in the Philippines.

Really ??  There are many and some very strong unions here.

Read up on the KMU and tactics they take when trying to form a union.

Of course whilst unions have many positives in some case they are just too strong and too inflexible.

Nike, built a factory in Cavite export zone several years back, , started producing product, union started wanting a greater share, unions go on strike and eventually Nike says " enough , tapos na !".. shut the factory, all the employees out of a job. Fast forward a few years, Nike tries again. And the result, was the same. 

My staff  of over 1000 ( I worked here for 5 years ) thought was good idea to form a union. Staff voted 50.5% for and 49.5 against.

Union went ahead full steam and when they met resistance from the staff who didnt want a union, well, a few were followed, and beaten on way home.

My senior managers and I regularly received bullets and other wonderful threats in the mil even though the right to form a union is enshrined in Labour Law here and as  a non filipino I deliberately had nothing to do with the process and yet, still there were threats.

Union leaders  here, lets diplomatically say, arent the nicest folk around.

Could tell many more stories about them , very interesting experiences working here.

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

25A615F0-76D6-4416-9BBC-B63B631739CA.jpeg

Now that is a man of the people !

• Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Greglm said:

Now that is a man of the people !

Is it Willy Wonka? 

• Haha 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

Police start probe into ‘abduction’ of 2 development workers

THE Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) has started its investigation on the disappearance of two members of cause-oriented groups who were allegedly picked up and forced to ride a car by men in civilian clothes as they arrived in Cebu City port from Mindanao on January 10, 2023.

CCPO spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Maria Theresa Macatangay urged development workers and labor rights advocates Armand Jake Dayoha, 27, and his fiancé Dyan Gumanao, 28, who were allegedly kidnapped but later found last Sunday, January 15, to help in their investigation by visiting their office.

Macatangay said they already went to the house of Dayoha and Gumanao in Barangay Talamban, Cebu City, but the couple was not there.

Dayoha and Gumanao arrived in Cebu City port from Mindanao at 7 a.m. on January 10, when they were allegedly met by a group of men who introduced themselves as policemen and forced them into their car.

The two were later found abandoned in a resort in Carmen town, northern Cebu on Sunday night, January 15. Their parents fetched them on Monday morning.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1951049/cebu/local-news/police-start-probe-into-abduction-of-2-development-workers