Boganvilleas in the rain.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Here in Bicol it has been raining non stop for the last 2 months and the Bogies are not liking it one bit.

The ones in pots are hanging in there partly because I drilled a lot of holes in the bottom of the pots so they have good drainage.

I reckon when/if the rain stops I will repot them with fresh dry soil.

One thing I have noticed that the potting mix we used prior to the rain starting was a mix of burnt rice husks, fresh rice husks, coco fibres, some vermiculture, and some Osmocote. This mix has good drainage rather than our earlier mixes of river sand and soil from the compost heap, this mix just doesn't drain off in the pots.

Luckily we took cuttings off all our plants and have kept them out of the weather and are all showing Bracts, so have some stock to replace those that don't make it because of too much water.

It is all a learning curve for us, especially with what fertilizer to use, Yaramilla Winner was what we were using before the WET started and a foliant spray with NPK of 15-15-30. We stopped using the bi product of my urine from my beer drinking thanks to advice from member JJReyes (thanks). 

See how it all goes...FFS we have had enough rain.

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Here in Bicol it has been raining non stop for the last 2 months and the Bogies are not liking it one bit.

The ones in pots are hanging in there partly because I drilled a lot of holes in the bottom of the pots so they have good drainage.

I reckon when/if the rain stops I will repot them with fresh dry soil.

One thing I have noticed that the potting mix we used prior to the rain starting was a mix of burnt rice husks, fresh rice husks, coco fibres, some vermiculture, and some Osmocote. This mix has good drainage rather than our earlier mixes of river sand and soil from the compost heap, this mix just doesn't drain off in the pots.

Luckily we took cuttings off all our plants and have kept them out of the weather and are all showing Bracts, so have some stock to replace those that don't make it because of too much water.

It is all a learning curve for us, especially with what fertilizer to use, Yaramilla Winner was what we were using before the WET started and a foliant spray with NPK of 15-15-30. We stopped using the bi product of my urine from my beer drinking thanks to advice from member JJReyes (thanks). 

I think I recall we exchanged posts on this a while back - we had half-a-dozen in pots and hanging baskets - none survived and I'm 100% sure the lack of drainage was the problem.  

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

Start a worm farm with part of the compost, it's pretty easy to do, just do a quick search on Youtube.  That worm "tea" that drains out the bottom is gold as fertiliser and my small garden (mainly chillies and herbs) in Cairns loved it.  You'd have a constant supply of vermiculture for your potting mix and fertiiser as well.  You can build it yourself out of styrofoam boxes or buy a pre-made farm.  The best worms are African Night Crawlers, they love compost best and handle PI conditions well, unlike the common earthworm that prefers soil and likes to dig deep.  The kits and worms can be bought on Shopee and Lazada or a bit more expensively here:  https://www.urbanvermicomposting.com/

I actually started doing it years ago to feed my Oscars (fish), they loved the live food and when I got into growing chillies etc it was a bonus.  

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

I think I recall we exchanged posts on this a while back - we had half-a-dozen in pots and hanging baskets - none survived and I'm 100% sure the lack of drainage was the problem.  

Yes, they don’t like wet feet as we are finding out.

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

I can only assume you put a layer of stones in the bottom of the pot? 

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I can only assume you put a layer of stones in the bottom of the pot? 

Yes we did.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Start a worm farm with part of the compost, it's pretty easy to do, just do a quick search on Youtube.  That worm "tea" that drains out the bottom is gold as fertiliser and my small garden (mainly chillies and herbs) in Cairns loved it.  You'd have a constant supply of vermiculture for your potting mix and fertiiser as well.  You can build it yourself out of styrofoam boxes or buy a pre-made farm.  The best worms are African Night Crawlers, they love compost best and handle PI conditions well, unlike the common earthworm that prefers soil and likes to dig deep.  The kits and worms can be bought on Shopee and Lazada or a bit more expensively here:  https://www.urbanvermicomposting.com/

I actually started doing it years ago to feed my Oscars (fish), they loved the live food and when I got into growing chillies etc it was a bonus.  

Thanks Brett, I am onto it.

• Like 1