Good Deal On A Mini Desktop Box

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Will I be able to use my Onedrive account on the new computer?  I assume yes but don't want to take any chances.

Yep.  It's an MS thing so when you log into your computer it should log you into OneDrive as well.  It may ask you for the password. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Yep.  It's an MS thing so when you log into your computer it should log you into OneDrive as well.  It may ask you for the password. 

Worked out well.

First I cleaned up and organized my old laptop so everything was in documents and synced to Onedrive.  Then I backed up that 228 gb folder onto an external hard drive as an extra precaution.

Also consolidated all my photos and videos and movies and tv shows onto another external drive.  2.8 TB!

During setup on the new box, I logged into my MS account and that Documents folder was ready to go.

It mentioned during setup that it could help install all the apps from my old unit, but I never was prompted, and I don't see anything anywhere about that, so I am doing it manually.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Well, looks like I am screwed on Windows 11.  I have been using the sunset version (2009) of Microsoft Money on Windows 10.  It installed on Windows 11 but when I try to open my data file, it doesn't work.

I have been using MS Money since the 90s.  I hope I can find a solution.  I might have to switch to Quicken and see if I can import the Money file.  Ideas are welcome.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Well, looks like I am screwed on Windows 11.  I have been using the sunset version (2009) of Microsoft Money on Windows 10.  It installed on Windows 11 but when I try to open my data file, it doesn't work.

I have been using MS Money since the 90s.  I hope I can find a solution.  I might have to switch to Quicken and see if I can import the Money file.  Ideas are welcome.

Try exporting it to excel.  It won't be pretty bit at least all the data will be there.  If memory serves me correctly MS money was a tailored version of excel with a pretty GUI written in C++.  MS Access, the database Office jobby was the same. You may be able to import your old data into a new program is my point.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Try exporting it to excel.  It won't be pretty bit at least all the data will be there.  If memory serves me correctly MS money was a tailored version of excel with a pretty GUI written in C++.  MS Access, the database Office jobby was the same. You may be able to import your old data into a new program is my point.

I did a bit of research and it appears that the Microsoft data can be imported directly into Quicken.  Quicken has free trials so I might give it a go.

MS Money does have several export functions.  I export reports as CSV.  Not sure if the entire file can be exported.  Actually, that Excel GUI appears to be after the last release, and it also ended support a few years ago.

I think it is time for a change.  14 years after the last release I have gotten by with MS Money.  Very used to it but I'm sure Quicken is good.  The version I need is 2.99 a month USD.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Did you get yours?  I just opened mine last night and there is a note about installing the hard drive, but I am certain it is installed.

What is taking me a long time is going through my laptop cleaning it up and getting it ready to take in for screen replacement.

Does anyone know about this?  Most of my important files on my laptop are on Microsoft OneDrive and I am using Windows 10.  The new computer is Windows 11.  Will I be able to use my Onedrive account on the new computer?  I assume yes but don't want to take any chances.

Mine has not arrived yet.  Delivery, both mail and packages, is slow between Manila and the province.   Have not used OneDrive but being cloud based I would think you could access it from any device provided you have login and password?  I would be interested in hearing how you laptop screen replacement goes.  Mine now has two lines of dead pixels so will need something done in the near future.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

Have not used OneDrive but being cloud based I would think you could access it from any device provided you have login and password? 

This is correct.  There's also Android and iOS apps as well. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I would be interested in hearing how you laptop screen replacement goes. 

I'm unsure if it is going to be cost effective.  The screens are 8-13 k pesos on Lazada, and probably 1000 to have someone install it.  So at least $200+ USD to fix the screen on a 6 year old laptop. :89:  And, I am unsure which to order because there are two types of connectors and I will have to open it up to find out which I need.

I'm going to the US in a few months and the laptops are dirt cheap.  I might just buy a new one.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

And, I am unsure which to order because there are two types of connectors and I will have to open it up to find out which I need.

They have both the 30 and 40 pin connector versions on Amazon for about $135 USD with free shipping.  Maybe I will find a repair guy who can open it up for me and then just wait for the part.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

They have both the 30 and 40 pin connector versions on Amazon for about $135 USD with free shipping.  Maybe I will find a repair guy who can open it up for me and then just wait for the part.

@BrettGCMaybe a stupid question.  I removed everything important (I think) from the laptop.  If I logout so they (repair person) can't access Onedrive, can they still work on the computer?