Good Deal On A Mini Desktop Box

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

@BrettGCMaybe a stupid question.  I removed everything important (I think) from the laptop.  If I logout so they (repair person) can't access Onedrive, can they still work on the computer?

Yep.  OneDrive has nothing to do with the functioning of your computer. 

Edit:  They'll still need to be able to access Windows to install the new screen though so they'll need your Windows password.  Just change it when you get it back.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm unsure if it is going to be cost effective.  The screens are 8-13 k pesos on Lazada, and probably 1000 to have someone install it.  So at least $200+ USD to fix the screen on a 6 year old laptop. :89:  And, I am unsure which to order because there are two types of connectors and I will have to open it up to find out which I need.

I'm going to the US in a few months and the laptops are dirt cheap.  I might just buy a new one.

I was kind of thinking the same, mine is also about six years old.  The mini-computer from Amazon arrived about 30 minutes ago.

• Like 1

Ozzyboy
Posted
Posted
On 1/22/2023 at 2:21 PM, Major Tom said:

I’d be very wary of buying any renewed pc or any electronic devices.

Don't do it, it's not worth it, it could even be infected, not in the operating system but in registry, how would you know, no virus programs will pick it up, at your own risk, while i'm here a prank that's been going around is to find a new USB somewhere take it home plug it in, bang, ransomwaare, user beware,

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Ozzyboy said:

a prank that's been going around is to find a new USB somewhere take it home plug it in, bang, ransomwaare, user beware,

You mean just lying around and looks brand new?  I need to warn the family, especially the kids, about that.  Thanks!

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

You mean just lying around and looks brand new?  I need to warn the family, especially the kids, about that.  Thanks!

They will soetimes drop them outside computer supply stores to make it look like someone dropped/lost it.  Also drop them in the parking lot of large businesses hoping an employee will take it inside and insert it into their desktop computer.  This could potentially allow access to the company wide network.  :sad:

• Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Ozzyboy said:

Don't do it, it's not worth it, it could even be infected, not in the operating system but in registry, how would you know, no virus programs will pick it up, at your own risk, while i'm here a prank that's been going around is to find a new USB somewhere take it home plug it in, bang, ransomwaare, user beware,

23 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

4 minutes ago, Mike J said:

They will soetimes drop them outside computer supply stores to make it look like someone dropped/lost it.  Also drop them in the parking lot of large businesses hoping an employee will take it inside and insert it into their desktop computer.  This could potentially allow access to the company wide network.  :sad:

I tend to take the view that natural selection will come into play here.  Anyone who finds a USB stick and then proceeds to plug it into their pc/laptop probably deserves what they get.

• Like 2

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Ozzyboy said:

not in the operating system but in registry, how would you know, no virus programs will pick it up

Not sure that is accurate. The registry is a centralized, hierarchical database but part of the "operating system" unless you are running linux as your OS.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
On 2/22/2023 at 11:25 PM, Ozzyboy said:

Don't do it, it's not worth it, it could even be infected, not in the operating system but in registry, how would you know, no virus programs will pick it up, at your own risk, 

There is a single exception to the rule... the Apple refurbished store (exclusively from Apple online) however that's not available in all countries.