Upgrading an Old Dell Inspiron Laptop

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

It's true open-source and you can run the latest version of Linux on a 90's vintage pentium if you choose to but that's limited to which free GUI you want to use, if any.  At it's core it's pure command line (they call it "shell"), but you can get various free GUI's which make it "Windows"-like.  Gnome is probably the most popular but there's a bunch of them.  

Thanks for your input!... now you've got me thinking (all over again). LOL. If I were to go that route (to Gnome), I'd need to change my email client from Gmail to Thunderbird (or another like app). Replacing Microsoft (MS) Office with open source options sounds simple enough but are they really easy to use (after installing them)?

I've read that they are cumbersome to use but can these Linux-shaming reviews just be propaganda initiated by the OS monopolies (Apple and Windows). As an aside to all of this, MS will stop numbering Windows versions--Windows 7/8/10/11 (and whatever comes next) will simply be called Windows in the very near future.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Thanks for your input!... now you've got me thinking (all over again). LOL. If I were to go that route (to Gnome), I'd need to change my email client from Gmail to Thunderbird (or another like app). Replacing Microsoft (MS) Office with open source options sounds simple enough but are they really easy to use (after installing them)?

I've read that they are cumbersome to use but can these Linux-shaming reviews just be propaganda initiated by the OS monopolies (Apple and Windows). As an aside to all of this, MS will stop numbering Windows versions--Windows 7/8/10/11 (and whatever comes next) will simply be called Windows in the very near future.

Back when I used Linux, I had a dual boot so no need to deep-six the stuff you're familiar with to begin with.  I don't find it cumbersome at all but like anything you're unfamiliar with it just takes time to get used to.  

• Thanks 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Back when I used Linux, I had a dual boot so no need to deep-six the stuff you're familiar with to begin with.  I don't find it cumbersome at all but like anything you're unfamiliar with it just takes time to get used to.  

You once had Linux and it sounded like you became quite familiar with how to use it, but why did you stop?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

You once had Linux and it sounded like you became quite familiar with how to use it, but why did you stop?

I only had it as a hobby to learn some programming we were doing on Unix at work, that's past.  I'm a gamer so windows is the best option for me.  

Edited by BrettGC

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

windows is the best option for me.

For different reasons, windows is also the best option for me, even though I’ll eventually get to a point where I’ll need to buy new computers.

• Like 1