Hello Everyone !!! Final Retirement Plans In Process

RockinFray
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello Everyone .....  I am in process on planning some time next year in 2024 my final retirement location to, The BEAUTIFUL Philippines !! Just a bit about myself, I am a 67 year young, currently existing, in the USA. I want to continue my life, living, in the Philippines for multiple reasons. My Mother is Spaniard but was born and raised in the Philippines. My Father is 1/2 Spaniard - 1/4 Filipino - 1/4 Irish/English and was also born in the Philippines ( I guess this would make me 1/16 Filipino - LOL, I don't know ). My Father was a Manager at the 1st Coca-Cola Plant in Manila and he also was a know Basketball Player playing on the Manila Basketball team ( position he played was center ). With a total of 5 children in our Family, me being the youngest, all were born in the Philippines, EXCEPT ME. I was born in the States after my Parents relocated the Family to the USA in 1953. I believe we are Mestizo. I am familiar with many Filipino customs, I cook some of the food and even though I was not born and raised in the Philippines it is naturally in my blood. My Mother always held on to instilling many of the customs on us children.

I am researching area's to retire in like Davao, Valencia, Dumaguete and Bacolod City. All I know is I want to be in a Province. I have begun my spreadsheet containing everything needed to to relocate but I know I am going to have many questions during this journey. I hope I can get many of the answers here on this forum to help make our transition as easy and smart. I Thank You ALL in advance and I am looking forward to corresponding with Very Nice people here on the forum.

Salamat

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
paste as plain text
  • Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum glad to have you join us here. :tiphat:

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Welcome and good to see you Here!

HappyJack
Posted
Posted

Ummmm.........Have you ever been here before?

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum, I can only suggest not choosing a location without being in the Philippines.

It's fine to make a short list, but actually visit the places before deciding.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum.  Curious - are you a dual citizen US/Philippine?  That would provide you certain advantages should you actually retire here. 

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Welcome to the forum.  Curious - are you a dual citizen US/Philippine?  That would provide you certain advantages should you actually retire here. 

Was the thinking of asking the same thing. At the OP - if not and if possible, you might want to consider starting that process via the Philippine Embassy or whatever consulate has jurisdiction for where you  currently live in the USA as it might be faster and save you the hassle of going to the BOI headquarters in Manila. 

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Also welcome to the forum, many of your potential questions would of been already asked and can be found on the search engine here.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, RockinFray said:

Hello Everyone .....  I am in process on planning some time next year in 2024 my final retirement location to, The BEAUTIFUL Philippines !! Just a bit about myself, I am a 67 year young, currently existing, in the USA. I want to continue my life, living, in the Philippines for multiple reasons. My Mother is Spaniard but was born and raised in the Philippines. My Father is 1/2 Spaniard - 1/4 Filipino - 1/4 Irish/English and was also born in the Philippines ( I guess this would make me 1/16 Filipino - LOL, I don't know ). My Father was a Manager at the 1st Coca-Cola Plant in Manila and he also was a know Basketball Player playing on the Manila Basketball team ( position he played was center ). With a total of 5 children in our Family, me being the youngest, all were born in the Philippines, EXCEPT ME. I was born in the States after my Parents relocated the Family to the USA in 1953. I believe we are Mestizo. I am familiar with many Filipino customs, I cook some of the food and even though I was not born and raised in the Philippines it is naturally in my blood. My Mother always held on to instilling many of the customs on us children.

I am researching area's to retire in like Davao, Valencia, Dumaguete and Bacolod City. All I know is I want to be in a Province. I have begun my spreadsheet containing everything needed to to relocate but I know I am going to have many questions during this journey. I hope I can get many of the answers here on this forum to help make our transition as easy and smart. I Thank You ALL in advance and I am looking forward to corresponding with Very Nice people here on the forum.

Salamat

Ask more questions when you become more certain of your plans, is all I can advise...

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. I sincerely hope you will find a good life here for your later years, and am pleased that you are researching things things a bit before experiencing the realities first hand in the near future. Written text and videos will only get you so far, but everything will contribute to your future successes and  setbacks.  Making a jump to live in another country and culture is never easy for anyone, but often more difficult if you move from an advanced economy to an emerging one. But the rewards are manifold and life enriching in many ways that are unexpected and incomprehensible to the average American citizen, IMO.

If you are unattached and not committed to another significant other before coming here, you are likely to be in the minority, and have geographic options that many eventual and actual ex-pats do not have, mainly due to the fact that the women here seem to need to be  living close to their home areas. For that reason, you can increase  your chances of finding a high quality lifestyle here by finding a location that fits your needs before getting into any serious, long-term relationship, if that is your intent.

I have spent the last 20 years traveling around and living in parts of Luzon and the Western Visayas. I personally prefer the island of Panay.

It has 4 provinces and capital cites, each of which has some very good points you won't find in many other places. If I didn't like Roxas City, so much for its conveniences and accessibility, I might choose the Iloilo City/Bacolod urban concentratio, or the nearby west coast province of Antique, which has a fraction of the aforementioned population cluster, but only a 2-3 hour bus ride away.

Good luck with your search and hoping you find what you'll be looking for.  

• Like 4