Borax - Post Up Your Best Recipes And Methods!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

After we returned from Australia, the ants and cockroaches seemed to have taken over!  More around then ever seen before.  I have used Borax before, but I would not say my recipes and methods were super successful.  I ordered 2 kg of Borax and it arrived today.  @Onemore52 had a topic last year, so I thought I would ask for your fresh ideas on Borax for killing those nasty ants and cockroaches!

roaches-roach.gif bugs-bug.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I hope it works for you.  Those bugs are a problem.

All the recipes members have used are already searchable but a simple google search found some good ones with nice explanations as to why they work.  https://cockroachfacts.com/borax-for-roaches/

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

50/50 mix of borax and brown sugar.  Add a bit of water to make a slurry and put the mixture in a shallow plate.  For cockroaches I have good luck with Bayer Cockroach Gel available from Lazada.  

Bayer Blattanex Cockroach Gel | Shopee Philippines

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HappyJack
Posted
  • Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

This is timely. Thanks for starting the topic Don.

Mamma mentioned the little ants were becoming a real issue in their kitchen. Again. 

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Most locals just tolerate them and make sure their homes are kept clean as possible, and making sure that food basura/trash/garbage/waste is minimized within the house Food, of course, is kept in sealed containers or even broken refrigerators.

When the numbers got to be intolerant for me, I would order a half dozen re-usable  plastic traps on-line from China and have something to do, baiting the traps, and logging the numbers {LOL) for my minature home trap line. They were blue boxes, 5 or 6 inches square with removable clear tops so you could see how many were inside. They had little, hinged aluminum one-way gates. I quickly found out that when collecting my little traps and putting them in a bucket of water with a rock atop the stack to weight them to totally immerse them, that it took an incredibly long time for them to die. A one day dunk seemed to do it though.

I had watched many vids on home made traps, but the easiest for us came about accidentally. Every night, my wife would feed the dogs with large, light steel bowls, retrieve them before closing up the house, and place them next to the well's water barrel, making sure to put some water in them for easier cleaning in the morning. They were curved bowl with vertical tops areas. And every morning there were dead cockroaches in them. They came to feed, slipped and couldn't climb out of the water.... drowning.

This also happened with my 3-5% boraxo ant jars that I set around the premises, often times, but I think the little devils really loved the dog food remnants a lot more than the sugar water.

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 1/29/2023 at 7:51 PM, manofthecoldland said:

Most locals just tolerate them and make sure their homes are kept clean as possible, and making sure that food basura/trash/garbage/waste is minimized within the house Food, of course, is kept in sealed containers or even broken refrigerators.

That explains why we had so many cockroaches in our house when we arrived here. Sister in law have been living in our house with her family and the house was a heaven for bugs because they had definitely not kept the house clean.

We kicked them out and started cleaning and now almost no cockroaches at all👍

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I'v not seen any roaches for about 2 years in our house ermm wife's house, maybe because of our pet tuko that lives under the fridge I only see it in the night when I'm getting a cool beer or some Tanduay.

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, jimeve said:

I'v not seen any roaches for about 2 years in our house ermm wife's house, maybe because of our pet tuko that lives under the fridge I only see it in the night when I'm getting a cool beer or some Tanduay.

That's great if you. and especially your wife can live with a tuko. I know they like to eat cockroaches, but my wife won't tolerate them because of the noises they make all night. Plus, they are very large and infamous for their bites. She always calls our tuko catcher to remove them whenever they come and take up residence.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, jimeve said:

We had a nice tuko living at our place for a few years.  He was a handsome devil and we named him Gary.  Unfortunately the cat killed him. :sad:

Love the outfit.jpg

• Like 2