Tourist VAT Refund

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Good news for visitors.  President Marcos has approved a proposal to refund VAT paid by tourists starting in 2024.  Details will be announced later.  Entry procedure will likewise be streamlined so that all required forms can be submitted in a digital format.  It's a breaking story, so very little details.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

How would that work? Keep all your receipts and do a ridiculous amount of paperwork upon exiting the country?

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

How would that work? Keep all your receipts and do a ridiculous amount of paperwork upon exiting the country?

That is how they do it in other countries that have their act together, so you can imagine how bad it would be in PH.

I bought a camera in Singapore and thought about doing it, but the line was long so I said the heck with it.  In Melbourne a few weeks ago, I saw the window where they do it, and the guy had no customers.

• Haha 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Guy F. said:

"Originals plus photocopy!"

The plan is to allow foreigners to get a VAT refund on items they are taking out of the Philippines

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/486727/philippines-to-offer-value-added-tax-refund-to-foreign-tourists-by-2024

• Haha 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

"Originals plus photocopy!"

Only then to be told: “Sorry po, no stock, come back in 3 weeks”. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The plan is to allow foreigners to get a VAT refund on items they are taking out of the Philippines

Well that would do me no good.  I travel light.

Freebie
Posted
Posted

And it takes them a year to implement this... Plus to be honest what is there to buy here thats interesting enough to seek a VAT refund.

Certainly not electronics, carpets or other high priced items....cant se it will have any touristic effect, and no doubt will require original plus photocopies, plus an express fee, plus refund in pesos ( for people leaving the country ! ) plus fingerprints plus pasport plus plus plus.. we know how this country loves everything to be in triplicate etc. 

One trip to Singapore to see how they process VAT refunds there based on passport only would give them a nervous breakdown.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I find it funny how everyone is so negative when the county tries to change in a modern way. Personally, I think you are all wrong and many things are moving forward to first-world ways and more so since the start of covid. Takes time but it will get there and then everyone will complain that it's like living at home. :popcorn:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Visitor numbers are way down compared to pre-covid.  Aiming for an increase, all kinds of ideas are circulating as to how this can be accomplished.  In my opinion, what would make sense is exempting in-bound and domestic tourists from having to pay VAT for hotel rooms.  That's the equivalent of a 12% price discount.  By the way, some popular destinations are nearly 50/50 in foreign and domestic visitors.

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

That's the equivalent of a 12% price discount. 

Yes BUT and there is always a but, Everyone has to pay tax somewhere, So if you take something home and have a tax refund ( vat) surely you will be charged import duty when you enter your own Country That could be more than the VAT refund you got :89: Just a thought

• Hmm thinking 1