Plastic gutter??

Viking
Posted
Posted

Our old metal gutters needs to be replaced because they are badly corroded.

I went to Wilcon looking for new ones but they only had plastic gutters.

My first thought was that it would be a bad idea considering how most plastic stuff here looks after a few years, but I don't really know, so it would be great to hear if any of you have some experience or information about this. One thing is sure, they will not corrode like the metal ones we have now.

Would you choose plastic or metal gutters when you need to replace yours? 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Viking said:

My first thought was that it would be a bad idea considering how most plastic stuff here looks after a few years, but I don't really know, so it would be great to hear if any of you have some experience or information about this. One thing is sure, they will not corrode like the metal ones we have now.

If I was to replace our gutters I'd go for aluminium again.  I'd worry about the impact of the UV light on plastic/vinyl based on other plastic stuff we have, including plant pots - they fade badly and become brittle in short time.  Now, I don't doubt the ones for sale in Wilcon will be of a good quality but I personally would have reservations about them, including the joints and brackets etc.

Hopefully, some members will have actual real-life experience and be able to guide you better than I.  

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

I don't recall seeing vinyl (plastic) gutters being sold in our area, but I think you are right, they are not the best for this climate.  The only thing our local stores have is galvanized steel.  That is what we had and I have replaced all of them with the same.  Aluminum or stainless, maybe they have it Wilcon.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

We have recently replaced all out Gutters after 12+ years, We went for Stainless, maybe to some, a little expensive but........... we were talked out of Plastic because of the Problem of Sagging  (a lot of the Spans are quite  lengthy)

We had some gutters rust out in less than 3 years.  I felt it must have been a bad back of metal.  The manufacture sent a rep and determined the cause was ash fallout from Taal eruption.  However, although they inspected many months after the eruption, the rust started a year before.  It just took them that long to send a rep.       Anyway, if you plan to stay long term in the house, I agree with Jack.  The only option is stainless.  Will be cheaper in the long run.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

We had some gutters rust out in less than 3 years.  I felt it must have been a bad back of metal.  The manufacture sent a rep and determined the cause was ash fallout from Taal eruption.  However, although they inspected many months after the eruption, the rust started a year before.  It just took them that long to send a rep.       Anyway, if you plan to stay long term in the house, I agree with Jack.  The only option is stainless.  Will be cheaper in the long run.

Could also be when installed no one cleaned out shavings or bits of metal that might have been in the gutter. They will rust out everything. 

• Like 2

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Viking said:

No need to replace!... no need to choose between plastic or metal!... the houses in my subdivision don't have gutters. :89:

IMG-0726.jpg

• Haha 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, hk blues said:

If I was to replace our gutters I'd go for aluminium again.  I'd worry about the impact of the UV light on plastic/vinyl based on other plastic stuff we have, including plant pots - they fade badly and become brittle in short time.  Now, I don't doubt the ones for sale in Wilcon will be of a good quality but I personally would have reservations about them, including the joints and brackets etc.

Hopefully, some members will have actual real-life experience and be able to guide you better than I.  

I have the same feelings about the plastic, I would be worried about the longevity of it.

13 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

We have recently replaced all out Gutters after 12+ years, We went for Stainless, maybe to some, a little expensive but........... we were talked out of Plastic because of the Problem of Sagging  (a lot of the Spans are quite  lengthy)

The old gutters held up for around 15 years, and I think that was pretty good. Stainless would certainly be better but depending on cost I am not sure if it will be worth it for me.

Sagging could also be a problem with plastic even if it probably can be avoided with placing the brackets closer than normal.

10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't recall seeing vinyl (plastic) gutters being sold in our area, but I think you are right, they are not the best for this climate.  The only thing our local stores have is galvanized steel.  That is what we had and I have replaced all of them with the same.  Aluminum or stainless, maybe they have it Wilcon.

In our Wilcons, we have 2, they only had plastic gutters. I always go there when looking for materials to the house but now I guess I need to visit the local hardware stores to check up what is available from them.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Actually, I was wrong when I said ours were aluminium, they are in fact galvanised steel which I believe will stand up to the environment here better than aluminium. 

Interestingly, according to the National Builders Association in the US, vinyl is better than both aluminium and galvanised but not as good as copper.  Stainless isn't mentioned.