Plastic gutter??

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Interestingly, according to the National Builders Association in the US, vinyl is better than both aluminium and galvanised but not as good as copper.  Stainless isn't mentioned.   

I guess it depend much of the climate it's being used in.

Plastic could probably be good if a high quality polymer is used. Here I think it's a safer bet going with one of the metal variants. I just need to get to a local hardware store a see what is available.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Viking said:

I guess it depend much of the climate it's being used in.

Plastic could probably be good if a high quality polymer is used. Here I think it's a safer bet going with one of the metal variants. I just need to get to a local hardware store a see what is available.

Yep.

Often here they will just use aluminium sheets and fold and cut into shape as a cheap alternative to pre-fabricated items.  Works well enough but you have to make sure it's properly coated with undercoat and preferably a couple of coats of enamel as well.  We have one short length like that and, after 6 or 7 years it's in not bad condition.  I wouldn't trust it for a long run as there would be joints and that's where the troubles begin.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Could it not be worth getting a Hammerite type paint and painting the vinyl gutters?

Speaking from experience my friend was building his house in Scotland and the building inspector told him he must use cast iron guttering and pipes due to the area he lived in. Cast Iron was about 20 times as expensive as the plastic pipes and guttering. He bought a couple of ten foot cast pipes and the rest in plastic and painted them all with a Hammerite paint.  They all looked identical once painted and the inspector tapped the drain pipe, felt it was cast and signed off his build.  Ten years later they looked as good as new and Hammerite is UV resistant.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We built a house for the wife's parents about 12 years ago.  Gutters are the factory pre painted metal.  They still appear to be in good shape.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

We built a house for the wife's parents about 12 years ago.  Gutters are the factory pre painted metal.  They still appear to be in good shape.

Same.  

• Like 2