Moss and Mold

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

My experience with mold/moss/mildew is similar to what was stated above... Bleach kills many things. Muriatic acid is a real scorcher for this stuff, but is a bit trickier to handle. A pressure washer really does the best with no environmental side effects. It needs to be done, preferably when the green stuff starts to appear, not when it establishes itself and on a regular basis - like every month or two if it is rainy/overcast. Or, maybe you can hire a kid to get down on hands and knees with a scrub brush and the bleach and detergent...

You can get household Muriatic Acid which is much easier to use and, IIRC, doesn't need diluted.  It's sold in a pink container rather then the blue for the strong stuff.  

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think I'll start with the vinegar but leave it longer, rain permitting, and escalate after that.  I won't be doing the actual scrubbing, but my 13yo nephew will be who's always after pay day as he's saving for his first motorbike/scooter... Yes, he's playing a long game.  Does a lot of odd jobs around the house and does them well once given the right direction. 

Funny thing is I've never really experienced this outdoors before, even when I was living in a harsher tropical environment than here in Australia (Darwin).  Yes, we'd get a little mould every now and then on the drive and paths, but a once a year with a hired pressure cleaner did the trick. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Mine also stopped working just a couple days ago, no pressure at all.  Have not tried taking it apart yet so not sure why it stopped.

I was able to fix the pressure washer.  The fix was actually easy except I made it difficult.  In my zeal to find the problem, I disassembled the pumping mechanism using my trusty set of metric allen wrenches.  Imagine my surprise when some of the parts hit the floor along with about 200 ml of lubricating oil.  After collecting the parts it did not appear like the pumping mechanism was damaged.  That is when I had an epiphany and decided to unscrew the water inlet.  It was of course a clogged screen do to the silt, fine sand, plus algae that grow in the garden hose.  Damn it was hard to put the pump back together.   So an easy fix made difficult because I was looking for a difficult problem instead of a common issue.  I sure hope I remember this lesson in the future. :89:

Edit - This is a nice pressure washer, and I am back to being happy with it.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

Don't use a rolling stone. It gathers no moss.

You'll certainly get no Satisfaction 

• Haha 3

Joey G
Posted
Posted

To kill moss... another option... try some copper sulphate..... you can buyout in crystal form... it's in many root killer formulas.  The pressure washer or a good scrubbing is needed after though...  because the moss is actually growing on a thin layer of dirt.... remove the dirt and you remove the base for moss to grow. 

This actually very common on the side of buildings as well on the shady side. You don't see it.... but If you ever pressure wash your house you'll be shocked how much it "drips green" when you first start.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Funny thing is I've never really experienced this outdoors before, even when I was living in a harsher tropical environment

Is there a way to allow more sun like are there trees that can be cut back to get sunlight in? 

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

You'll certainly get no Satisfaction 

Paint it black.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Is there a way to allow more sun like are there trees that can be cut back to get sunlight in? 

No mate, it's just he aspect of the house and our wall that's the issue.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

No mate, it's just he aspect of the house and our wall that's the issue.

Not a problem. Demolish the house :rolleyes:

• Haha 1