Moss and Mold

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Okay, okay... I am convinced that a pressure washer is really the way to go. We have a very long fence and it is turning green - not nice green, mossy green. And we have some cement steps too. I like the idea of just using water instead of chemicals, so I will give this a try... But not entirely sure of which pressure washer to buy? There are many listed on Lazada and I have not been to any hardware stores in almost a year. I would only use it (or pay to have a worker use it) maybe twice a year. But, like I said already, we have a long fence and both sides would need the treatment... 

I would appreciate any suggestions...

I bought an electric Bosch pressure washer at Ace. It's used sporadically and works well. I've even blasted paint off tile with it so I'm sure it could handle moss. The O rings deteriorate over time but they are available on Lazada.

• Thanks 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I am going to be needing a high pressure washer in the near future to do a lot of cleaning of walls, stripping peeling paint, so my plan is to buy one with the longest warranty and use the be loving Jesus out of it and if it fails then take it back for a warranty replacement.

I have done this before at Citi hardware and they have always honoured their warranty.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Okay, okay... I am convinced that a pressure washer is really the way to go. We have a very long fence and it is turning green - not nice green, mossy green. And we have some cement steps too. I like the idea of just using water instead of chemicals, so I will give this a try... But not entirely sure of which pressure washer to buy? There are many listed on Lazada and I have not been to any hardware stores in almost a year. I would only use it (or pay to have a worker use it) maybe twice a year. But, like I said already, we have a long fence and both sides would need the treatment... 

I would appreciate any suggestions...

Can't recall if I bought mine on Lazada or at City Hardware.  About fives now, easy to pack around and works well.  Mix some bleach with your water and it will make a big difference as it will kill the spores.  I know you are not thrilled about chemicals, but the sun will break down bleach in just a couple days.

IMG_20230202_070426.jpg

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Brett, the specs of that machine rates it at 120 bar, might be enough to strip the rust off metal.

As an after thought I was in Ace hardware and they were trying to flog off some other Chinese junk, heavily discounted of course.

Did you purchase off Kaercher or somewhere else please mate?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Brett, the specs of that machine rates it at 120 bar, might be enough to strip the rust off metal.

As an after thought I was in Ace hardware and they were trying to flog off some other Chinese junk, heavily discounted of course.

Did you purchase off Kaercher or somewhere else please mate?

Bunnings in Australia about 10 years ago, sold it before I left Australia in good working order; it had had constant use for the time I owned it.  

Karcher is a premium brand that's been around for years, they're sort of the Sidchrome and Gurney is the Snap-On with regards to quality.

They're on Shopee and Lazada.  I can't remember if I've seen them in any of the hardware chains here though.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Mix some bleach with your water and it will make a big difference as it will kill the spores.

Hi Mike. Thanks for the info. How do I mix bleach with water from the water hose?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hi Mike. Thanks for the info. How do I mix bleach with water from the water hose?

Most pressure washers will include a mixer bottle that adds detergents, etc. as you spray.  I have also seen similar bottles that you can attach to the end of a garden hose.  Alternative would be to use a garden sprayer, mix maybe a 1/4 cup of bleach to a gallon of water?  Spray the wall and wait 15 to 20 minutes then power wash?

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

There are many listed on Lazada

Why Lazada? My personal opinion is Shopee is a better online sales platform. From my research lately, Lazada seemed to have many counteract products but of course, l might be wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I've had Karcher's in the past, can't remember the exact model number but it's on 2 wheels and you don't need a max pressure model for the kind of thing you're using it for.  The K3 or K4 I think.  Lasted until I left Australia with weekly use over an 8 year period and I sold it in good working oder; I was living in a similar climate there to the one here. 

I found Karcher's on Lazada. The K3 model runs for around P15,000. Does this seem reasonable? And this is electric powered, right? How long is the power cord?

I will also check Shopee since I have used both... I have had good experiences with both, but sometimes the couriers used by either get lazy or just don't wish to deliver outside the city proper...

I guess I will also need to buy another extension cord since L has ours (my old one for 110 volts so heavy) used for some lights in the yard for a long while... Our lot is 300 meters long at the longest edge...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1