Australia to remove British monarchy from new bank notes

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
On 2/3/2023 at 3:04 AM, Major Tom said:

center-left Labor Party government

Hahahahahaha, been decades since the Australian Labor Party was left of anything.  Very firmly right of centre and have been for years.  The Democrats in the graphic refer to the Australian Democrats, they've been defunct for over a decade.  For those that don't know, the Liberal party in Australia is actually our main conservative party; yes it's an oxymoron, but it is what it is.  

The Political Compass

As to what's on the Aussie currency, despite my father being an Irish Catholic that lived part of his life in Belfast (we all lived there when I was a kid for about 3 years even though I was born in Australia - Mum's Aussie though), and I hold dual Irish (republic) and Australian citizenship (not giving up that European passport for anything), I'm actually completely indifferent as to what's on our bank notes.  

Ironically, the last big push for a republic was led by Malcolm Turnbull, who later became a Conservative Prime Minister in Australia.  As generations grow up and become involved in politics etc issues like the bank notes and in the wider arena, the Australian republic issue, the divisions are blurring party lines. There's plenty of conservatives that are pro-republic and conversely, the same goes for those on the "left(?)".  Granted, it is slightly weighted by political ideology, but is becoming less true as time goes on.  

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure I agree with the placement of parties on your picture, it's true that the days when the Australian Labor Party were 'left' have passed but that picture puts them half way towards the extreme right which is too far IMO.

I'd have put them about as far right of centre as you've placed the Democrats left of center (but keeping the height on the X axis).

I'd be putting One Nation and Nationals slightly further right than the 'Liberal' Party (but they're all in the same general area, the 'Liberals' have moved further right over the last few years).

And I'd add the Animal Justice Party in the Green quarter about twice as far to the left as the Greens .

But at the end of the day we each have our own opinions (and that's all they are).

• Like 3