Mac donalds

Gary Molloy
Posted
Posted

It's been some years since I was last in the Philippines.i was based in Hong Kong for 2 years in 1985 and visited twice.

DO Mac donalds still have security guards with shotguns.which I thought was strange and OTT.😫

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Gary Molloy said:

DO Mac donalds still have security guards with shotguns.which I thought was strange and OTT

I assume they still do.  Others will answer that.  But its not strange to me.  I have heard of so many Philippine retail establishments getting robbed over the years that they need to do something to deter criminals.  Any place that takes in a lot of cash is a target.  Unfortunately,  the likelihood of the guard getting killed immediately is high.  But at least it keeps the business's insurance rate lower.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Moalboal is a small town so the guard only has a pistol. :tongue:

• Haha 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Moalboal is a small town so the guard only has a pistol. :tongue:

I have it on good authority that his name is Barney and he keeps his single bullet in his shirt pocket 🤣

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Not seen armed guards in McDonalds 

• Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Purpose for security guards at McDonalds is not to deter crime.  Their presence is to keep street kids away.  They are also good at opening the door for customers.  

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not all McDonalds have door guards now?

My impression is the door guards keep those pick pocket children and peddlers out but also in case of a major crime. 

If I remember correctly some years back there was a shooting inside a Talisay Cebu McDonalds and the guard fled.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Now that I think about it, I did not see if they were armed at McDonalds on my last visit a year ago.  But then, I stopped noticing years ago.  I am still shocked to see them bussing tables though.

As I think about it, I did see two shotgun wielding security guards accompanying a business man in and out of McDonalds.  It could be he was collecting the cash to take it to the bank or maybe he was just a big shot who needed protection.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Old55 said:

If I remember correctly some years back there was a shooting inside a Talisay Cebu McDonalds and the guard fled.

Smart guard, good decision.  US bank employees are instructed to give robbers everything on their drawer.  Losses are covered by insurance.  Physical injury to an employee is more expensive for the bank. All bank crimes are federal so the FBI is called for the investigation.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Purpose for security guards at McDonalds is not to deter crime.  Their presence is to keep street kids away.  They are also good at opening the door for customers.  

In Moalboal the guard also logs the employees time in/out in a book.  I assume it is then used to calculate payroll.

• Like 1