Retirement

Sheriff2144
Posted
Posted

HI All,

Well, after waiting for airfares to come down a bit, we have booked a flight for early March. We will fly into Manilla for 1 night before moving onto Bacolod for a bit then Iloilo for the rest of our stay. We would like to visit Dumaguete as well but that might have to be on another occasion. As mentioned in another post, We have tried China, Bali, Penang, and Thailand. Thailand was our choice then but covid hit and that was that. Now the world has opened up again, more research has shown that the Philippine Visa's are more appealing - not sure if we do one of the SRRV's or just use Visa extensions, what do you guys think? the SRRV would require us to lock up almost 29k AUD.

So, we just want to set our feet on the ground for that gut feeling ( 1st day in Penang and we knew it was not for us) but we are already expecting a positive experience.    With that, on return, we will then start our process to come and settle in the Philippines. Question, Have any of you used one of those cheap onward tickets when entering the Philippines to stay? If so, how did it go for you, any hassles?

Thanks for any responses in advance  :no:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

All good advice from @GeoffH and all I'd like to add is that if you eventually decide to go with the SRRV, the deposit amount can also be used for investment in real estate so can help to buy a condo; so not totally wasted money in limbo if you choose to use it that way.  

I'm not sure if you're aware but if you've had any military service in Australia you qualify for the expanded courtesy SRRV which is only a deposit of $US1500.  

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Rare that immigration will ask. 

Since Covid it seems like it’s becoming more common for the BOI to ask for proof of an onward ticket.  Both times last year I was asked (although the last time he hadn’t yet noticed I had 13a stamp in my passport and when he seen that he said to never mind about the onward ticket). 2 friends who arrived from the USA last week (separate flights) were also asked by the BOI for an onward ticket / travel itinerary. But like anything else here YMMV

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted

Irrelevant really as you need one to board but have gone out and come back to Philippines 4 times in the last 3 months & Immigration has only asked to see it once. $14 for a legit ticket bought 48 hrs before travel from onward ticket.com as stated in a previous post is great.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Sailor Jerry said:

Irrelevant really as you need one to board

True, however still good to have it handy to show to BOI in case they ask.  I read on another forum about a guy who deleted his after he boarded (accidentally he said) and then was asked again by immigration when he arrived. He had to purchase another one. Best to also take a screen shot of it or print it out in case you can’t access or accidentally delete n clean your email’s trash folder. 

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted

I just save mine in my gallery in my phone. It pretty much just looks like a travel agents itinerary, you could print it out I guess, it lasts for 48 hrs If someone wants to check, it’s a 100% real ticket until then. 

• Like 1