Animal welfare desks in Cebu City up soon

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I can see once this news spreads a lot of animals arriving at police stations to report abuse.  :turkey_40_anim_gif:

CEBU CITY – Animal welfare desks will soon be established in all police stations here.

The Department of Veterinary Medicine and Fisheries (DVMF) said these animal welfare desks will be put up in 14 police stations and substations under the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) to ensure that cases of animal abuse will be given priority.

Dr. Jessica Maribojoc, chief of the DVMF, said police personnel who will man the desks have been training since November last year.

“A lot of people do not know where to report animal abuse cases. And some people are even unaware that animal abuse can be reported to authorities,” said Maribojoc.

Maribojoc said the public should know that animal abuse is punishable under the Animal Welfare Act of 1998.

The seminar-workshop allowed police who will man the help desks to be more knowledgeable of the law that protects animal rights, Maribojoc said.

Maribojoc said having animal welfare desks will give more teeth to the law.

“On our part, we can only issue a citation and it only involves a minimal amount, a minimum of P2,000 and a maximum of P5,000,” Maribojoc said.

Maribojoc warned that the DVMF is serious in its campaign against animal abuse. She said that last year, a resident was fined P30,000 for abandoning five dogs.

She said the DVMF is pushing for the protection of animal rights not just in Cebu City but also in the entire province of Cebu.

Maribojoc condemned the recent incident in a subdivision in the City of Naga where several dogs were poisoned.

“That was very barbaric, very inhuman. There are a lot of ways to control strays and the simplest way is to bring them to the pound area. There is a city veterinarian office there. The local government unit has the mandate to control rabies,” said Maribojoc.

https://mb.com.ph/2023/02/15/animal-welfare-desks-in-cebu-city-up-soon/

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maribojoc condemned the recent incident in a subdivision in the City of Naga where several dogs were poisoned.

*Allegedly poisoned. 

Here's something for animals that people love, instead of hate:

DVMF.jpeg

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

*Allegedly poisoned. 

Here's something for animals that people love, instead of hate:

DVMF.jpeg

Our LGU has started the same.  I can only guess the rationale is that it's cheaper than the rabies clinics.  To me it was a "no sh&t, Sherlock" moment.  There's been talk of 500PHP neutering and spaying as well but we'll see.  

• Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

There's been talk of 500PHP neutering and spaying as well but we'll see.  

You will probably need Philhealth for yourself :mocking:

• Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

And some people are even unaware that animal abuse can be reported to authorities

I am reminded of my situation in Liloan, Cebu in 2009.  I imagine it has changed.  I went to the local police to report that my dog had been biting people and they were coming after me for money so the dog needed to be "put down".  The police officer said something like:  "If you pay for the bullets, it would be good to use the dog for target practice."  So yeah, people are unaware that they can report animal abuse to the cops because they abuse animals as much as anyone, or they did.

• Sad 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am reminded of my situation in Liloan, Cebu in 2009.  I imagine it has changed.  I went to the local police to report that my dog had been biting people and they were coming after me for money so the dog needed to be "put down".  The police officer said something like:  "If you pay for the bullets, it would be good to use the dog for target practice."  So yeah, people are unaware that they can report animal abuse to the cops because they abuse animals as much as anyone, or they did

Very biased view but as you say. that's not now or even In the same city as this report.  The report says the police have been trained since November. Could mean in target practice or could mean that things do change Eh.  Honestly it's a completely different situation and 2009 was before color TV so it's like saying. Never mind,,,

Anyway, you went to the police to say the dog needed to be put down as people were wanting compensation but you did not own the issue did you? It's your dog doing the wrong thing and you don't want to pay and at the same time expect an agency that really is not qualified to solve the issue at the time to do something.

The way I look at is that it's not about fixing an issue for someone who can not control their animal but the idea is ts to look into issues that might be regarded as animal cruelty etc and for neighbors or whoever to report it. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Anyway, you went to the police to say the dog needed to be put down as people were wanting compensation but you did not own the issue did you?

If I had put the dog down myself, then it could be said that "I" was the cruel one.  So I went to the vet who said "we take an oath, like a doctor, to do no harm to any animal.  So I will not put that dog to "sleep" just because he is biting people."  Things are so different there in the Philippines.  In a first world country " Your dog may be required by law to be euthanized if your dog is considered dangerous".  (LINK HERE)

The dog was always on my leased property and people should have been leaving him alone but, well that's people.  I learned to get along well with my dog but he spent a lot of time in a cage when other people were around.  Some say that is cruelty too.  Unfortunately, some dogs are extremely aggressive and he was one.  Not being the dog whisperer, I could not really own the issue. 

The way I look at is that it's not about fixing an issue for someone who can not control their animal but the idea is ts to look into issues that might be regarded as animal cruelty etc and for neighbors or whoever to report it.

Neighbors report too much shit as it is.  Many people think that keeping a dog caged is cruelty, but in my case I knew otherwise.  As you can see, I cannot explain that well.  The way I look at it is that a good dog owner knows what is best for his dog and its nobody else's business.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Here is the order from the Department of Agriculture concerning euthanasia for those interested.

https://paws.org.ph/downloads/AO 9 and AO 13 Euthanasia of Animals.pdf

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 2/16/2023 at 12:43 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

people are unaware that they can report animal abuse to the cops because they abuse animals as much as anyone, or they did.

People know abusing pets can get them in trouble. Strays are an entirely different issue.