Observations on Philippine Dining

mountainside
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Pretty much my experience as well JJ.  

Only thing I'd add is something that is hospitality 101 in most countries I've visited/lived in.  In The Philippines you're seated and give your entire order, drinks included, then you're left alone until the entire order comes out in dribs and drabs.  

Rest of the world:  You're seated, waiter takes your drink order while you peruse the menu.  Drinks arrive, you continue to peruse, waiter comes back and takes your food order as well as a second drink order (PI restaurants are losing money there right away).  All meals arrive together.  PI chefs/cooks seem incapable of preparing food in such a way that all meals arrive at the same time and are still hot; it's first year apprentice chef stuff in Australia at least.  I understand why it's so, i.e. Filipinos eat many meals at home cold, but it does annoy the duty pub manager in me from a past life. 

Growing up in the American Midwest it was common for parents to remind their children: "Eat your food before it gets cold".  Never overheard such a conversation in SE Asia.  Like you, I understand why.  But I still prefer my "hot" dishes served "hot".  To their great credit, though, no Filipino has ever served me a warm San Miguel . . .

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We recently ate at a rather high end restaurant where the waiter said "sorry ma'am, we only have bottled water".    I call that BS as their wait staff is certainly not drinking bottled water and they are not using bottled water to wash dishes, etc.  This was in Cebu City.

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, mountainside said:

To their great credit, though, no Filipino has ever served me a warm San Miguel . . .

True, they'll even add ice . :huh:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Pretty much my experience as well JJ.  

Only thing I'd add is something that is hospitality 101 in most countries I've visited/lived in.  In The Philippines you're seated and give your entire order, drinks included, then you're left alone until the entire order comes out in dribs and drabs.  

Rest of the world:  You're seated, waiter takes your drink order while you peruse the menu.  Drinks arrive, you continue to peruse, waiter comes back and takes your food order as well as a second drink order (PI restaurants are losing money there right away).  All meals arrive together.  PI chefs/cooks seem incapable of preparing food in such a way that all meals arrive at the same time and are still hot; it's first year apprentice chef stuff in Australia at least.  I understand why it's so, i.e. Filipinos eat many meals at home cold, but it does annoy the duty pub manager in me from a past life. 

To some extent I agree with your observation about food coming in dribs and drabs but I'd say it's no different to what I've experienced in Thailand for example.  I'd also say it isn't always the case - in our local mall food court for example all the main dishes are served together. Unfortunately, the consequence of this is some of the food is only warm rather than hot.

My ongoing bugbear is some menu items being unavailable.  I swear that the veggie burger in BK has never, ever been available so why advertise it? Often no soft drinks available which is a farce. And a scam so they can sub for cheap iced tea - Chowking is guilty of this.

• Like 2

mountainside
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

We recently ate at a rather high end restaurant where the waiter said "sorry ma'am, we only have bottled water".

3 hours ago, Greglm said:

True, they'll even add ice .

Can't wait to to return to Cebu City and dine at the restaurant mentioned by Mike J.  I'll be confident that the ice cubes in my San Miguel will have been made only with bottled water.  Then I won't have to fish the ice cubes out of my glass and wonder what to do with them . . .

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 2/18/2023 at 9:26 AM, JJReyes said:

Rice? - Total confusion when we don't order rice with a Filipino meal.  Sometimes the manager would come to our table to confirm.  Rice is sold at a subsidized price.  Out of curiosity, I computed the cost to cook one cup.  The margin is huge!  No wonder they push you to order

Try to find a restaurant that doesn't serve rice, they'll be one of the better ones. Many under the Abaca group, for example.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

Once again I vow not to eat out just at home as my partner is a great cook.

And it's a lot cheaper... The main problem is you need to wait your own table and wash your own dishes... Hmmm and the tip can be very nice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2