Observations on Philippine Dining

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

My pet hate, when in a local restaurant to keep the children occupied they bring along their iPads and any other shite that generates noise, so try and carry out a conversation is nigh impossible, but the parents are oblivious to this. 

Same, but unfortunately it's becoming the norm.  

Being on the phone at the dinner table is banned in our house, much to the Tik-Tok generation's disgust (our nephews and nieces).  I love those kids, and they're all really good kids, but phones.... Anyway, we all know the story. 

In restaurants if we're in a group, if any of the kids touch their phones there's no ice-cream from the 711 on the way home for any of them.  If it's the adults - my lovely wife has been known to commit the offence - they pay for everyone's drinks.  

• Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, RBM said:

Once again I vow not to eat out just at home as my partner is a great cook.

Agreed!  I have told many people over the years that the only reason we go out to eat is to give my wife a break.  I do always try to help when I can and will do clean up and dishes.  Of course I will try try to do this as much as I can when we have guests just to show off.  A small price to pay in my view.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Four of us went to Tagaytay Ridge for lunch yesterday, a Sunday.  Big mistake.  The traffic was bumper to bumper both going and returning.

Living in Sta Rosa we liked to visit Tagaytay.  Many places to eat and shop.  Plus one of my daughters best friends lived there.  However, it did take me long to realize I will never drive there from Friday afternoons thru Monday mornings.  Even with visiting guests I refused to take them during those hours.  Just not worth wasting a whole day.  The drive could take hours one way.  The off times about 20 minutes.  Lesson learned!

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

And it's a lot cheaper... The main problem is you need to wait your own table and wash your own dishes... Hmmm and the tip can be very nice!

Not so Tommy, my partner prefers I just sit.......Tip is a different story....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 2/18/2023 at 2:55 PM, mountainside said:

I'll be confident that the ice cubes in my San Miguel will have been made only with bottled water.  Then I won't have to fish the ice cubes out of my glass and wonder what to do with them . . .

I have never had an issue with ice in Cebu city. Restaurants and bars etc buy from an ice company so maybe the water is filtered but you can drink Cebu city water anyway. I dont think I have ever seen a place here with their own ice machine to produce ice on site.

• Like 3

mountainside
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I have never had an issue with ice in Cebu city. Restaurants and bars etc buy from an ice company so maybe the water is filtered but you can drink Cebu city water anyway. I dont think I have ever seen a place here with their own ice machine to produce ice on site.

My Cebuana wife reminds me that we were always OK with tap water and ice during our visits to Cebu City.  Her relatives in Mandaue, though, have water delivered for human consumption.  I think they'd serve me tap water only if I misbehaved . . .

• Haha 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

you can drink Cebu city water anyway.

Maybe you can, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone though.

On 2/20/2023 at 12:55 PM, BrettGC said:

Being on the phone at the dinner table is banned in our house

As it should be, but it's not a bad time for a family movie though.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:41 AM, intrepid said:

the only reason we go out to eat is to give my wife a break.

Mostly agree but there's another reason. If you can find a really good international restaurant, what your wife eats, she can replicate at home...or at least have fun trying.

• Like 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Where we are the tap water used to be quite good but then some  millionaire bought the facility and now it’s not so good.

When is too much money not good enough for these people?