Observations on Philippine Dining

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Family of four in a restaurant were on their phones texting.  We speculated they were texting each other rather than conversing.  When their meals arrive, the two kids grab spoons to shovel bits of meat and rice into their mouths while looking at the screen.  It was slower because one hand was for the spoon and the other for the keyboard. Times have changed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

I had a signal jammer at one time, really enjoyed it. Instant dropped calls and worked on wireless karaoke microphones too. They are illegal in the Philippines now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Greglm said:

I had a signal jammer at one time, really enjoyed it. Instant dropped calls and worked on wireless karaoke microphones too. They are illegal in the Philippines now.

Why oh why did you have to tease me like that?  I had visions of doing all sorts of magic.

• Haha 5

Gas
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Family of four in a restaurant were on their phones texting.  We speculated they were texting each other rather than conversing.  When their meals arrive, the two kids grab spoons to shovel bits of meat and rice into their mouths while looking at the screen.  It was slower because one hand was for the spoon and the other for the keyboard. Times have changed.

Not really. Its just a different way to 'Marites' :smile:

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 2/19/2023 at 3:50 PM, RBM said:

We dined at a very up market restaurant last Saturday night. Parking by security guard, owner met us at reception plus staff were also there to meet and greet.

The resto was as good as I have seen in any European city, exquisite.  

Sadly there it stopped, my meal came 10 minutes before my partners, beer was served ice cold in a can, my glass was full of ice. We had to request them to remove empty  plates between courses, also to refill the water glasses. Food was not good.

Its beyond me how they can spend several million to build such a beautiful establishment and neglect to train staff......

Once again I vow not to eat out just at home as my partner is a great cook.

So exactly what place (this one!) should I avoid here in Negros?.  I'm open to PM if prefer to not list here.  I'd prefer to avoid your recent experience.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

One observation I've had especially in fast food outlets if you order say a burger and fries they dish up the fries and leave them on the counter while waiting on the burger to cook, at times I've watched my fries going cold for a good few minutes. Why they can't wait until the burger is made then plate up some fries in seconds is beyond me. They've even rested the fries against my cold coke while waiting on the burger. 

Edited by Snowy79

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

the kids on the iPads with the volume turned up while the parents sit there oblivious to the disruption to other people in the vicinity of their table.

7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I mentioned the solution before; stick to international restaurants that generally don't even serve rice, that will eliminate loud families and their bratty kids. And the staff are trained to Western standards.

Possum
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

One observation I've had especially in fast food outlets if you order say a burger and fries they dish up the fries and leave them on the counter while waiting on the burger to cook, at times I've watched my fries going cold for a good few minutes. Why they can't wait until the burger is made then plate up some fries in seconds is beyond me. They've even rested the fries against my cold coke while waiting on the burger. 

Little franchise training. Franchise owners are not held to the same standards as in many other countries. The franchise owner in my city is the brother of the mayor. How he was able to buy a McDonald and Jolibee franchise is anyone's guess. Look up the owners of the national franchises in the Philippines for a good education on who gets the business here.

• Like 1

usa32
Posted
Posted

I'm just preparing for my second visit. However, on my first i noticed at a few places, I would sit down and no server would come and get my order? I had to waived them over.

Or I would be greeted, sit down, look over the menu and no one would come back until I waived them over. Is this a thing, or was I just not liked ? ha.

At the western restaurants etc, TGI fridays etc, it was normal service, which was pretty good, if not better than what I would get in the USA

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, usa32 said:

I'm just preparing for my second visit. However, on my first i noticed at a few places, I would sit down and no server would come and get my order? I had to waived them over.

Or I would be greeted, sit down, look over the menu and no one would come back until I waived them over. Is this a thing, or was I just not liked ? ha.

At the western restaurants etc, TGI fridays etc, it was normal service, which was pretty good, if not better than what I would get in the USA

Staff won't bother coming to the table until you are ready to order.  Signal is to raise your hand like a schoolboy, and they will come.  You can also make a loud "pssst!" sound, but this is very rude in the West because it is considered demeaning.  

• Like 1