90 Days License Conversion vs “Required” 6 Months Presence?

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

So, I am pursuing the conversion of my US Drivers License to a Philippines Driver’s License  here in Negros Oriental/Duma to be in compliance with doing so before the gratis 90 days to drive in RP expires.  Today my “realtor person” or side hustler (better description) told me her LTO connection in Bais told her I have to be in RP for 6 months before I can get an RP license. Like many things here, that defies any logic, as by rule or regulation, as I understand it, I am Required to convert the foreign  license within 90 days arrival if I intend to legally drive here, as well as not having to take a written exam if done then, but only a medical exam. Does anyone know the actual current LTO rule or regulations for this?  I’d like to be able to cite something when I go into LTO without ruffling any feathers….and yes, I know each LTO, etc seems to make its own rules.   Thanks in advance as we also need to secure a vehicle and avoid the outrageous rental costs here.  

mountainside
Posted
Posted

Possum
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

So, I am pursuing the conversion of my US Drivers License to a Philippines Driver’s License  here in Negros Oriental/Duma to be in compliance with doing so before the gratis 90 days to drive in RP expires.  Today my “realtor person” or side hustler (better description) told me her LTO connection in Bais told her I have to be in RP for 6 months before I can get an RP license.

Never heard of such a thing but then again most Filipinos and real estate agents have never converted a foreign license so no surprise. You can drive on a foreign license for 90 days.

.Here is my experience. Years ago I asked LTO to convert my license while I had a visitors visa, they said no. Have to have a residence visa. When I got my SRRV I went back and converted relatively easy. No test required and was done in about 2 hours

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I spoke to @Nickleback99 last night about it and shared my experience in Dumaguete, March 2022.  For the benefit of others, here it is:

I was on a tourist visa.  I registered online, it was a waste of time as they don't use it for initial conversion, only renewal.

Arrived at LTO, was directed by the guard to go and get a medical around the corner (private practice - no kickback involved there I'm sure).  Arrived at the medical, filled out the paperwork, waited 2 hours and then was ushered into the doctors office.  The doctor is sitting at one desk reading. I was seated at another desk with someone I'm assuming is a nurse?  Nurse brings up my file on the computer (from the previously filled out paperwork) and then proceeds to fill in the medical examination without so much as a word to me.  All done in about 3 mins.  I receive the bit of paper stating I'm fit to drive.  

Proceed back to LTO, guard lets me in.  There's a guy at a desk just inside the door that takes my paperwork and checks it, ticks the endorsements and gives me back the application.  The paperwork was:

• Application for licence conversion,
  • Medical form,
  • Copy of my passport bio page,
  • Copy the passport entry stamp page,
  • Copy of my 9a visa (explanation below),
  • Copy of my Australian Licence, and
  • Copy of my receipt from BI for my latest extension - I hadn't yet received my ACR-I card.

There was no doubt in his mind I was on a tourist visa (9a - due to covid, I could only gain entry at the time by obtaining the 9a prior to arrival based on being married to a Philippine national - VOA was still not allowed, or any other form of visitors visa.  From memory, they'd only just allowed SRRV holders back into the country).  I keep copies of all legal documents on a thumb drive and print as required.  

Took a seat and waited about 2 hours to be called to pay.  Went and paid for the conversion, no receipt issued.  Went and waited another hour, had my fingerprints and licence photo taken, then went and picked up the receipt and paid for the actual licence; receipts for both the licence and conversion - yes they are separate payments. I can't remember the fees, but neither were very much.  

Was informed the printer is not working, but I'd be fine with the licence receipt in the meantime.  That was in March 2022, the printer was finally fixed in November 2022.  All done.  

The funny thing was, when the initial guy gave me back the application, I could have changed any of the endorsements I wanted on there.  In Australia I'm licenced to drive up to MC (multi-combine), better known as road trains, as well at motorcycles.  I just left it at cars and bikes; there's not way known I'm driving trucks around here. 

Next time, as suggested by @Dave Hounddriver and @Eddie1, after the event of course, I'll be dealing with LTO at a quieter office such as La Libertad, Bais or Bayawan.  

As always YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) depending on location, but I know plenty of guys on VOAs that have been able to complete the process, not just in Dumaguete. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Is there a deadline within which one has to convert a foreign licence without having to start from square 1 i.e. I've been here almost 8 years but never driven so never converted but wonder what process I'd need to follow If I were to try now to convert.  

• Like 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Is there a deadline within which one has to convert a foreign licence without having to start from square 1 i.e. I've been here almost 8 years but never driven so never converted but wonder what process I'd need to follow If I were to try now to convert.  

If your foreign driver's license is expired you'll apparently have to start from scratch, since you have no valid foreign license to convert.  Here's the LTO web page that sets out the necessary qualifications and requirements for foreign license conversion:

https://lto.gov.ph/license-and-permit.html#conversion-of-foreign-driver-s-license-to-philippine-driver-s-license-including-renewal-of-expired-philippine-driver-s-license-with-a-valid-foreign-driver-s-license

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, mountainside said:

If your foreign driver's license is expired you'll apparently have to start from scratch, since you have no valid foreign license to convert.  Here's the LTO web page that sets out the necessary qualifications and requirements for foreign license conversion:

https://lto.gov.ph/license-and-permit.html#conversion-of-foreign-driver-s-license-to-philippine-driver-s-license-including-renewal-of-expired-philippine-driver-s-license-with-a-valid-foreign-driver-s-license

Thanks, I suspected as much.  My bad for letting my UK licence expire but it's technically illegal to renew it if you aren't a UK resident.  I should have changed it over to a Hong Kong one when I moved there even though I had no intention of driving there. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

My bad for letting my UK licence expire

Expire? are you 70 years old?

Gas
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Expire? are you 70 years old?

If you have a photo card license it has to be renewed every 10 years or it expires. 
It’s a bit of a gray area as in theory our licenses are good until we are 70. 

https://www.lawble.co.uk/driving-licence-expired/

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

I’ve hired cars in Asia, Europe, America, Oceania and never had a problem using my Philippine license. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gas said:

If you have a photo card license it has to be renewed every 10 years or it expires. 
It’s a bit of a gray area as in theory our licenses are good until we are 70. 

I have never had a card licence BUT my licence expired at 70 with a yearly extension  up to 73 then on Medicals BUT I was here so No chance :tiphat:

• Like 1