Decent Steak in Philippines

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

After almost 7 years here in Philippines, I have finally found decent steak cuts... My God, but they are expensive... but they are really good and up to USA or other standards.

There is a local NCCC store here in Davao that sells frozen cuts of high quality meats and fish. I think it is called Mindanao Meats? I forget exactly... But I have seen and purchased some Angus ribeye cuts (expensive at P1,000/ kg and up!). But they have been rather thick cut (about an inch more or less), well marbled and very tasty. So I buy one now and then, but the fresh or frozen bariles is a much better deal at about +/-800/kg. Anyway... here is - to me - the best way to cook quality beef steak:

Make sure the steak is room temperature and dry on both sides.

I use Montreal Steak Seasoning, if available. Otherwise Lawry's Season Salt, or last resort is salt, garlic powder and pepper... - to dry rub the meat shortly before cooking.

I heat up the pan or - preferably - the bbq to high heat, then drop the steak onto the pan or grill. It only needs to cook a few minutes on each side - I watch the colour and then do the touch test - near thumb is well done, nearer palm is medium rare to rare...

Before or while this is happening, I sauté  some onions and garlic in butter until almost soft. Then I add mushrooms (usually canned pieces and stems), and cook until the onions and garlic are soft. I season with a lot of coarse ground pepper and a bit of salt. While it is still quite hot, I pour in about a shot or so of dry vermouth. That all cooks off but leaves a really nice flavour to the saute.

By this time, the steak has cooked (less is more for steak to keep it tender). L is wary of rare to medium rare, but has been learning to eat and enjoy the tenderness...

Add the baked potatoes with goodies loaded on top and some green veggie like green beans or broccoli and you have a wonderful, western style meal. So much better than available in many resto's here in Philippines...

Enjoy with dry red wine!

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

What time?  I'll take mine med-rare, no potatoes.  :smile:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

It all depends on temperature of cooking surface or bbq and thickness of steak. I look at the edges of the steak and watch to see when it starts to get that grey-cooked appearance... Also, just poke at it and see how firm or tender it seems to be. It should be soft and tender to the touch and similar to touching your hand palm below your thumb. Only turn it once, not multiple times. Rarer is better for expensive cuts, otherwise it tends to get tough... Cut into it with a sharp knife prior to serving to see if it is too bloody for you. Also remember that it will continue to cook slightly after removing from heat source. It needs to rest for10-15 minutes before serving. You can always return it to the heat if not cooked to your satisfaction.

Various sources will give you some guidelines. I find that 3-4 minutes per side for a 1" steak over really hot fire seems to do the trick... But you need to experiment and check frequently so you don't destroy your expensive meat!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

For thicker cut steaks, and even smaller roasts, I’ve found the reverse sear method to work quite well. I prefer it in fact. Bring steak to room temp. Rub with desired seasonings. Bake at 275 degrees (F) until desired doneness; approx 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven and sear in a very hot frying pan (cast iron is best) or on a bbq grill.

Using this method there is no need to let the steak rest and it’s nearly foolproof. You can use a meat thermometer to check for mid rare; no need to cut it open. Cutting it open to check for temp if while cooking using more traditional methods will mean loosing those precious juices. Even if you let it rest first, then cut it and find you need to cook it more then you’ll still loose some of the au jus. Plus you now need to keep any side dishes warm while you cook your steak again for a few more minutes. 

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

All this talk makes me want to cook up a large top round roast I have in the freezer. Incidentally, the top round roast - which seems to be readily available at out local SM lately - can be sliced into 2 inch thick slices and those are used typically in USA for "London Broil," steaks. These can be incredibly tasty and tender. Bbq seems best to me and cook as @Gator describes or as I described above. For those without experience, the meat thermometer is a must to make it right. The local beef is still a bit tough, so don't expect miracles, but it will still be tasty and reasonable if cooked properly. My Dad always did London Broil for weekends or guests or both. He had it down to an art. If cooked as London Broil, the finished roast must be sliced thinly across the grain on the bias to yield nice, tender slices to serve. My above mushroom/onion/garlic saute goes great with this as do any other veggies/starches that you may wish to add...

As @Gatormentions above... slicing to check for doneness can diminish the juices of the meat and reduce the experience.

Same thing as above.... enjoy with dry red wine if you wish!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Has anyone tried Sous Vide for steaks?  I'm planning to get one.  A lot of people in my Carnivore FB group use them and rave about them.  Especially for less expensive cuts.  A friend has one and likes it a lot.

What Is Sous Vide? (allrecipes.com)

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Has anyone tried Sous Vide for steaks?  I'm planning to get one.  A lot of people in my Carnivore FB group use them and rave about them.  Especially for less expensive cuts.  A friend has one and likes it a lot.

What Is Sous Vide? (allrecipes.com)

Also an excellent way to cook a steak, works especially well with thicker cuts (1 1/2” - 2”).  A friend in the USA has one and I’ve had steaks cooked by him several times.  Perfection every time as the steak is cooked evenly from edge to edge. Still need to sear the steak though to get that nice crust and render the fat. Searing for a minute or so on each side and a little around the edges of each side doesn’t affect the internal temp (same with the reverse sear method I described above). My only issue is the time it takes - hours. That could a good or bad thing. The Sous Vide method was bad for me due to my work schedule so I never bothered to invest in one. 

Edited by Gator