New Zealand man killed in makati

usa32
Posted
Posted

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/02/22/kind-hearted-selfless-new-zealander-shot-dead-in-philippines/

Whats everyone thoughts on how to avoid this, and if not avoid, what to do if confronted in this way?

Obviously walking in side streets in manilla after midnight to do laundry, maybe isnt the best idea. As you are likely more protected from this during the day, and with lots of people around

fighting back with a guy with a gun, seems to be a low chance of success, maybe you are able to grab it. But if not trained in martial arts, seems it may not end well.

Is it best to throw some pesos at them and run?

Or calmly give over all your possessions, while not looking at them in the eyes?

Thoughts everyone?

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)

Suspect identified.

https://www.philstar.com/nation/2023/02/24/2247231/p5-million-reward-arrest-new-zealanders-killer

MANILA, Philippines — Police have identified the suspect who shot dead a tourist from New Zealand during a robbery in Makati.

Brig. Gen. Kirby John Kraft, director of the Southern Police District, said they have put up a reward of P500,000 for any information that would lead to the arrest of John Mar Manalo.

Manalo was identified by four witnesses as the person who shot dead Nicholas Peter Stacey, 34.

Kraft said the reward money was offered by civilians whom he refused to identify.

Manalo has a pending warrant of arrest issued by a court in Malolos City, Bulacan for robbery.

Stacey and his girlfriend, a Filipina, were walking along Filmore street when two men on a motorcycle declared a heist on Sunday. Stacey defended his girlfriend but was fired upon by the suspect.

The Department of Tourism condemned the killing of Stacey.

“We condemn in the strongest possible terms the criminal act committed against the New Zealand tourist, which resulted in his untimely demise,” the DOT said in a statement. 

Edited by Mike J
Added text if article
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, baronapart said:

Suspect identified.

Brig. Gen. Kirby John Kraft, director of the Southern Police District, said they have put up a reward of P500,000 for any information that would lead to the arrest of John Mar Manalo.

Dang!  I have known Filipinos who would turn themselves in for that kind of money.  I would not be surprised if they caught four or five guys claiming to be him for the reward.

• Like 4

Possum
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, usa32 said:

Is it best to throw some pesos at them and run?

Or calmly give over all your possessions, while not looking at them in the eyes?

Yes. Throw money and run.

In my earlier life I had training about disarming a person with a gun but only if within arms reach and even then if there was no alternative. Giving them money is an alternative. You can replace money but not your life.

• Like 4

usa32
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, baronapart said:

wow, i guess this one got too much media attention, plus the guy sounded like a good guy, not a "monger". Alot of these unfortunately, never are solved.

500k pesos, is a big reward in the Philippines.   Hopefully hes prosecuted properly.

• Like 1

usa32
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Greglm said:

Yes. Throw money and run.

In my earlier life I had training about disarming a person with a gun but only if within arms reach and even then if there was no alternative. Giving them money is an alternative. You can replace money but not your life.

True. But im just wondering what the chances are of them shooting u while running. I would think if this one someone desperate and you threw 5k pesos at them, a relatively small sum for a foreigner, and ran and didn't stare at them. They would rather take the easy money, with no hassle

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, usa32 said:

True. But im just wondering what the chances are of them shooting u while running.

If it came down to running from a armed person I was told to zigzag making it difficult for the gun person to shoot you. Just don't get yourself into that predicament in the first place. After dark I stay at home. 

• Like 5

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, usa32 said:

Whats everyone thoughts on how to avoid this

Stay out of Manila, it's the only region in the Philippines where criminals are this brazen.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, usa32 said:

True. But im just wondering what the chances are of them shooting u while running. I would think if this one someone desperate and you threw 5k pesos at them, a relatively small sum for a foreigner, and ran and didn't stare at them. They would rather take the easy money, with no hassle

You can never be sure, but hopefully if you threw the money towards them so they would be distracted enough to focus on picking up the money and give you a chance to get away.  I'm not sure why they'd choose to shoot you if they have already got the money unless they think you have much more - a robbery conviction is way more attractive than a murder one!  I wouldn't throw the money too far from them as they might get pissed off.  

• Like 1