New Zealand man killed in makati

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I posted this story last Wednesday and not one comment :smile: 

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/34170-34-year-old-new-zealander-killed-in-philippines-shooting-city-of-makati-shooting/

17 hours ago, usa32 said:

wow, i guess this one got too much media attention, plus the guy sounded like a good guy, not a "monger". Alot of these unfortunately, never are solved.

500k pesos, is a big reward in the Philippines.   Hopefully hes prosecuted properly.

As was stated earlier they were worried about the impact on tourism so that would be why they are wanting to make it look like the case will be solved and the Philippines is safe for tourists. 

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm not sure why they'd choose to shoot you if they have already got the money unless they think you have much more - a robbery conviction is way more attractive than a murder one!  I wouldn't throw the money too far from them as they might get pissed off.  

Many of these guys load up on shabu before going out to get money, they might do anything but making it rain and running like hell is a good defense.

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, jimeve said:

If it came down to running from a armed person I was told to zigzag making it difficult for the gun person to shoot you. Just don't get yourself into that predicament in the first place. After dark I stay at home. 

Differing Opinions :-)))

Generation Kill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdaQHTWT_ZI

In Laws:

Edited by baronapart
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I posted this story last Wednesday and not one comment :smile: 

I did notice that, as many others surely did, but your post was in a news section and this thread was asking if foreigners felt safe and secure after that incident.  Thus I did not merge the topics.  Should we merge the two threads?

RBM
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Stay out of Manila, it's the only region in the Philippines where criminals are this brazen.

Wrong, here in Bacolod from a rough guess tandem killings would average once a week, be interesting comparing this to Manila on a population basis. Do not recall any being solved. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/24/2023 at 12:59 PM, hk blues said:

You can never be sure, but hopefully if you threw the money towards them so they would be distracted enough to focus on picking up the money and give you a chance to get away.  I'm not sure why they'd choose to shoot you if they have already got the money unless they think you have much more - a robbery conviction is way more attractive than a murder one!  I wouldn't throw the money too far from them as they might get pissed off.  

This goes back to the 2 wallet system in areas prone to robberies.  The throwaway wallet has lots of small bills and it would be hard to quickly determine how much is there.  Throw and run.

Edit:  However, hard to execute when with someone else.  Strategy needs to be discussed beforehand.

Edited by OnMyWay

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

This goes back to the 2 wallet system in areas prone to robberies.  The throwaway wallet has lots of small bills and it would be hard to quickly determine how much is there.  Throw and run.

Edit:  However, hard to execute when with someone else.  Strategy needs to be discussed beforehand.

I have no idea how I'd react as I've never had to face such a situation, especially if facing down a gun.  Faced with a knife or unarmed I'd almost certainly run but a gun would be a very different story.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I have no idea how I'd react as I've never had to face such a situation, especially if facing down a gun.  Faced with a knife or unarmed I'd almost certainly run but a gun would be a very different story.  

I was robbed with a gun held to the back of my head.  Happened so quickly I had no time to react.  No where to run, no where to hide.  Luckily he did not have a nervous trigger finger.

• Sad 1

Patryk
Posted
Posted

and all of this to get one samsung phone which most probably will be disassembled and sold for parts, and a wallet in which may be few thousand pesos

In general, after seeing about 50 countries I feel very safe in Philippines, from time to time I can feel the place is shady and I just get a taxi or tricycle to get away. But in general I don't feel unsafe. I was in Colombia for 6 months, you can feel safe there but, it is not safe place , things happens every day. I used burner phone and wallet with cash only ( it is better to have some money in case of express kidnapping), I am perfectly fine to give it away when I have to. In Nigeria on the other hand I wasn't moving anywhere without my armed guard. 

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, RBM said:

Wrong, here in Bacolod from a rough guess tandem killings would average once a week

No, I meant towards foreigners.

• Like 1