How Many Americans?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I found out there are approximately 400,000 Americans living in the Philippines.  The large number is partially due to Filipino Americans returning to their country of origin in retirement.  There is an office within the US Embassy tasked with providing assistance in the form of advice and advocacy.  Unfortunately, this office is currently understaffed.  There was a hiring freeze by the State Department during the pandemic, followed by staff retirement and attrition, but it should be back to full strength within a year.  

This office also collects, with the assistance of the Philippine government, information from funeral homes about any American who has passed away.  Families don't report to the Social Security Administration when someone has died.  The families continue to receive their monthly Social Security benefits, when upon death, they are only entitled to receive $1,000 for funeral services.

• Like 4

mountainside
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The families continue to receive their monthly Social Security benefits, when upon death, they are only entitled to receive $1,000 for funeral services.

I think the death benefit is now only $255.  Sorry to hear of the staffing shortage -- those folks were very helpful during outreach visits in SBFZ a few years ago.  I've heard that outreach visits are starting to resume.  I hope so, for the benefit of my fellow Americans and their families.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mountainside said:

I think the death benefit is now only $255.  Sorry to hear of the staffing shortage -- those folks were very helpful during outreach visits in SBFZ a few years ago.  I've heard that outreach visits are starting to resume.  I hope so, for the benefit of my fellow Americans and their families.

I checked the AARP website and yes, the death benefit is now only $255.  My recollection, before my retirement, the amount was $1,000.  Mortuaries and funeral homes in the United States are required to report to the Social Security Administration all deaths to remove their names as SS beneficiaries.  The difficulty was getting information from overseas.  I believe this is the reason, if your benefits are sent to an overseas bank account, you have to file an annual report.  I guess they want to make sure you are still alive.

• Like 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I guess they want to make sure you are still alive.

I used to worry a bit about getting my "dead-or-alive" letter on time, and getting it returned on time.  Never had an issue, but I think I've read posts on one or another expat forums about folks having problems with it.  Maybe SS has concluded that there's no viable way of getting dead-or-alive status done online.  Sure would be convenient, though.

• Like 2

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I believe this is the reason, if your benefits are sent to an overseas bank account, you have to file an annual report.  I guess they want to make sure you are still alive.

Actually the foreign address is what triggers the Annual Report. I have my bank account in the states and get the annual report letter every year.

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Talking about reporting, I’ve never read about Australian reporting?

OzeMike
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Clermont said:

Talking about reporting, I’ve never read about Australian reporting?

I did receive a dead or alive letter once from Centrelink (Australian social services and pensions) over 6 years ok which I signed and faxed to them. Nothing since..however, I get my Aussie state pension paid fortnightly into my Australian bank. Centrelink has my Philippine phone number and I maintain a resident address in Brisbane, file a yearly tax return and return to Oz every couple of years. 

I also have a UK state pension and have never had a alive or dead letter from the UK Pension service. My UK pension is paid directly into my Philippine bank monthly. I am now non- resident in the UK 

Edited by OzeMike
spelling
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

when upon death, they are only entitled to receive $1,000 for funeral services.

I doubt that a foreign family is eligible for the death benefit.  A key reason why we are moving to the U.S. is so that my wife can get SS on my account, which requires 5 years residency.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OzeMike said:

I did receive a dead or alive letter once from Centrelink (Australian social services and pensions) over 6 years ok which I signed and faxed to them. Nothing since..however, I get my Aussie state pension paid fortnightly into my Australian bank. Centrelink has my Philippine phone number and I maintain a resident address in Brisbane, file a yearly tax return and return to Oz every couple of years. 

I also have a UK state pension and have never had a alive or dead letter from the UK Pension service. My UK pension is paid directly into my Philippine bank monthly. I am now non- resident in the UK 

I'm not of retirement age so have no personal experience but I recall one member who had a Skype video call to verify he was still kicking about.  It was related to UK pension. 

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OzeMike said:

a yearly tax return and return to Oz every couple of years

I didn’t copy all but thanks, I’ve only got a Australian bank account and I was once told they can’t access it, and no tax filing, under the deeming amount. So ?

• Like 1