Is The Food Safe?

Onemore52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Last year while in the province I got a dose of the runs and occasional  vomiting, and started to lose weight and having had bowel cancer before knew the symptoms, so headed  back to Australia to seek clarification.

I will keep this brief.

The surgeon did a colonoscopy and a endoscopy and found the Helicobacter Pylori  bug in my (spelling sus), intestinal tract so he put me on a some antibiotics to kill the bug, his final words to me were go home and wash everything with bleach, benches everything.

Then the penny dropped. That I had been looking at the way the maids in the house were washing the dishes , a lot of soap and running everything under cold water, (usually taking 40 minutes to do that 5 minute task) .

So when I went back I got rid of the maid, she was leaving anyway. I took my own plates and cutlery back with me and now wash my own dishes etc in boiling water. I frequently spray the bench tops with diluted bleach solution and do the same in MY bathroom, which is what used to happen when I was in the Navy if someone had a dose of the clap.

Edited by Onemore52
Omission
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, skippyscage said:

cafes etc washing used dishes and plates in cold water, usually with highly watered down soap to save costs

cooked food left out all day after being cooked in the morning and served up cold in the street type restaurants

seafood and meat left on open stalls by the streets from sunrise to night, with traffic fumes and without ice or cooling - packed away in an ice chest (with no ice) and put out the following day - and repeat

food cooked with high degrees of salt/sugar to hide the fact that the meat/fish might be past its best

the only way to guarantee fresh fish/shellfish is to buy directly off a boat at a harbour - everything else you see for sale will have changes hands multiple times and not stored correctly.

I only trust the well run and clean restaurants after being hit multiple times with the runs

people just don't care - they don't want repeat business, it's just what can I make today - short sighted yes, but that's why you find so so many of them all serving the same swill for the locals, who will eat more rice than anything with their meal anyway.

Another trick they do is put grated ginger on chicken that is going off and make chicken Adobo.

• Thanks 1

skippyscage
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Another trick they do is put grated ginger on chicken that is going off and make chicken Adobo.

Wow. Just wow. There’s really no moral depths they will sink to. 

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
Just now, skippyscage said:

Wow. Just wow. There’s really no moral depths they will sink to. 

You couldn’t dream this shite up..another story from “that’s inedible “

skippyscage
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

You couldn’t dream this shite up..another story from “that’s inedible “

yup - I'm convinced that everyone is taught to lie constantly from birth - you see it from the top to the bottom of society here

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, skippyscage said:

cafes etc washing used dishes and plates in cold water, usually with highly watered down soap to save costs

cooked food left out all day after being cooked in the morning and served up cold in the street type restaurants

seafood and meat left on open stalls by the streets from sunrise to night, with traffic fumes and without ice or cooling - packed away in an ice chest (with no ice) and put out the following day - and repeat

food cooked with high degrees of salt/sugar to hide the fact that the meat/fish might be past its best

the only way to guarantee fresh fish/shellfish is to buy directly off a boat at a harbour - everything else you see for sale will have changes hands multiple times and not stored correctly.

I only trust the well run and clean restaurants after being hit multiple times with the runs

people just don't care - they don't want repeat business, it's just what can I make today - short sighted yes, but that's why you find so so many of them all serving the same swill for the locals, who will eat more rice than anything with their meal anyway.

All that said i almost never have issues with whatever I've eaten here - no more or less than in the UK or Hong Kong so...

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, skippyscage said:

here's a little rant I wrote for Facebook and never ended up posting from a year ago, which is apt for this discussion (some are repeated above in my previous post)

===========

Food, expectation vs reality.

The Philippines are hundreds of islands with tropical sun.  Almost everything you plant will grow.

Great! Fresh fish and abundant fresh vegetables, I’ll live a healthier life. Right! Right?

The reality is that very few vegetable crops are grown, fields are either rice or corn, but predominantly rice. More about rice later.

Vegetables cost the same or in many cases more than in the west due to farmers simply not growing them. Most are imported. Those that are grown find their way into the local markets and are often small due to a lack of knowledge on how to tend to the crop. Here it’s just a case of water and then fertilise the crap out of it.

Crop rotation is unheard of. Corn will be grown in the same fields 3 times per year over multiple years in a row. Hence the need to use more and more fertiliser which costs a lot of money. Corn can easily fail due to dry spells, too much water in the rainy season or pests.

Corn Is a high risk crop with larger monetary rewards but one that can easily fail. People get into debt fast after a failed crop. They get a loan for the next crop to recoup the money, only for that to fail. Rinse and repeat.

It's too hot and/or wet to grow most vegetables here other than areas at high altitude. 'Almost everything you plant' certainly won't grow well here.

Crop rotation is pretty much pointless in terms of stopping pests as the guy in the next field 50 meters away will be growing the same thing anyway and as soon as he sprays pesticide all the bugs will come into your field. It doesn't really make any difference in terms of fertilizer usage either as different types of vegetables will still need fertilizer anyway. They can't afford to plant a cover crop when you only own 1-2 hectares of land and it wouldn't be worthwhile terms of saving them money on fertilizer.

Farmers always get shit on here but I have a farm and it's certainly not easy. 5 different bugs start attacking anything you plant within the first 2 weeks of planting, then there's extreme wet/dry seasons for most of the year with the added bonus of a typhoon wiping you out once every year or 2.

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

Remember Imelda Marcos 90th birthday food poisoning.?You'd think she could afford a proper caterer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48852101

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Greglm said:

Remember Imelda Marcos 90th birthday food poisoning.?You'd think she could afford a proper caterer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48852101

"Health officials said 261 people had been affected. Ms Marcos was not among them, according to reports."

We might assume she was not eating the same food as was served to the guests.

• Like 1