Question about wages in the Philippines

Ozzyboy
Posted
Posted

I don't know where to post this question so i'll try here,

gobsmacked, is a word often heard on broadcasts of sportsman being interviewed on television, a word i dislike but appropriate for this topic, i need to set my mind at ease in regards to knowing what ''The average movie theater cashier salary is in the Philippines'' because a friend has met such a person doing this job, he met her on line and the conversation of money came up, now i tried to search for the answer on line but no 2 results were the same, but,, ''The Philippines' average monthly salary is P15,200''  this answer came up often, the lady in question quoted a wage nearly 3 times more, the question is, does anyone actually know the answer, is my friend being lied to, i'm gobsmacked,

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Ozzyboy said:

I don't know where to post this question so i'll try here,

gobsmacked, is a word often heard on broadcasts of sportsman being interviewed on television, a word i dislike but appropriate for this topic, i need to set my mind at ease in regards to knowing what ''The average movie theater cashier salary is in the Philippines'' because a friend has met such a person doing this job, he met her on line and the conversation of money came up, now i tried to search for the answer on line but no 2 results were the same, but,, ''The Philippines' average monthly salary is P15,200''  this answer came up often, the lady in question quoted a wage nearly 3 times more, the question is, does anyone actually know the answer, is my friend being lied to, i'm gobsmacked,

Without knowing the specifics I'd hesitate to say she's lying but it seems on the high side (or very high side) for such a job.   

• Like 1

Ozzyboy
Posted
Posted

I am now in Laos and living so long in South East Asia, knowing what i know, i agree with you.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ozzyboy said:

I am now in Laos and living so long in South East Asia, knowing what i know, i agree with you.

yep.

It does seem a little strange as most would do the opposite and plead poverty to garner sympathy but maybe this is a new marketing ploy! 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

SM Sales Clerks make around 14k a month.

https://ph.indeed.com/Sm-Sales-Clerk-jobs?vjk=17205a022429448e

Most of the movie theaters are owned by the malls, so I doubt if it would be much different, unless they are a manager or specialty job like projectionist.

My wife was a CPA with an American company 10 years ago.  8 years with the company and I think when she left she was making 35k a month.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

SM Sales Clerks make around 14k a month.

That's in the NCR, wages are lower in smaller cities generally (and away from the NCR) 10k per month or even less isn't uncommon.

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I would call her out on that wage, something doesn't add up. Maybe she has a few online sponsors.  :whistling:

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

Maybe KTV "theater" but not likely movie theater pay

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Ozzyboy said:

is my friend being lied to

Suggest that he ask how much she makes per day.  For some reason, any Filipina I have met cannot tell me how much she gets paid per hour or per week or per month or per year but each of them know exactly how much they make per day.  Perhaps my experiences only?

• Like 4