Food Poisoning

mountainside
Posted
Posted (edited)

While we're discussing food hygiene and lack thereof, I'm reminded of a kindness done to me a few years ago.  I was in queue at a pharmacy in Bali with the worst of the too-many cases of food/water poisoning I've had.  I'd run out of Imodium.  Fella directly behind me told the pharmacy clerk to add a dozen Smecta sachets to my order, and add the charge to his bill.  Smecta?  I'd never heard of it.  For those who might not have heard of it, Smecta, an aluminosilicate clay, absorbs the cooties, which then pass through the system with the Smecta.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3132498/   So now I have two weapons in my armory:  If I need to plug things up I reach for the Imodium.  If I have time on my hands, it's Smecta.  Any other remedies you know of that I should add to my travel bag?  I can always toss out a pair of socks to make room for something more important.

Edited by mountainside
  • Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Been here 6.5 years and rarely have an issue or anything different from when in Australia. Not sure why everyone thinks you will get sick by eating here. Can happen for sure but unless you buy crap when you know it is by looking at it then not many issues. 

• Like 5

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

1 dead, 3 hurt after eating ‘spoiled’ bangus

Dugan said that based on the initial investigation, one of the four construction workers bought a kilo of milkfish for P30 from an unidentified fish monger at the Lapu-Lapu City Public Market around 5 p.m. on Friday.  Dugan said the construction workers reportedly grilled the fish then ate them for dinner.  But at 8 p.m. the four men started to feel symptoms of food poisoning, such as vomiting, stomach aches and diarrhea, for the next four hours, or until midnight.  The victims only decided to seek medical attention around 2 a.m. as their condition got worse.  But their failure to immediately get medical attention cost Genelazo’s life. Dugan said Genelazo died soon after arriving at the hospital.  Dugan said the construction workers may have bought the fish thinking that it was fresh considering that it was already dark around 5 p.m. - https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1944745/cebu/local-news/1-dead-3-hurt-after-eating-spoiled-bangus

I don't usually buy fish, but when I do it's at 5am, not 5pm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Been here 6.5 years and rarely have an issue or anything different from when in Australia. Not sure why everyone thinks you will get sick by eating here. Can happen for sure but unless you buy crap when you know it is by looking at it then not many issues.

My problem is that I'm stupid, I like to travel, and I too often forget to take sensible precautions.  Like in Bali:  I'd brushed my teeth four or five times with tap water before remembering that I wasn't in the US anymore.  The pessimist in me knew what would happen, and it did.  I can't figure out how to get any smarter, so I'm trying to get as stupid-proof as I can.  And still get out of the house once in a while.

Edited by mountainside
  • Haha 5

mountainside
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

I don't usually buy fish, but when I do it's at 5am, not 5pm.

Jeez.  I'm never awake at 5 am, but always start to get hungry at 5 pm.  Maybe my wife has some Spam recipes.  And maybe there's some fish-flavored Spam now.

• Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, mountainside said:

Jeez.  I'm never awake at 5 am, but always start to get hungry at 5 pm. 

If you're going to buy fish in the late afternoon buy it from a supermarket (Robinsons for example) and not from the local market.

• Like 4