Workers behind missing vehicles probed

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Is nothing safe in this country? 

Bacolod probes workers behind missing vehicles

BACOLOD CITY—At least 45 individuals will have some explaining to do about the city-owned vehicles assigned to them that remained missing three weeks after an inventory was made by the City Hall here.

Mayor Alfredo Abelardo Benitez said he would issue notices to those who were entrusted with these government vehicles to shed light on the matter.

“These 45 persons need to explain why based on records the vehicle is with them but cannot be located or accounted for,” he said in an interview on Feb. 20.

As of Feb. 21, an inventory conducted by the city’s General Services Office showed that 45 government vehicles were nowhere to be found while 77 others were accounted for but still not physically seen.

Most of these vehicles, the mayor said, were issued to the barangays or the Bacolod City Police Office.

Employees who were issued the city-owned vehicles were required to bring them to the Bacolod City Government Center grounds for inventory and those who could not account for vehicles assigned to them could face malversation charges, said the mayor.

City Administrator Pacifico Maghari III earlier said the mayor has noticed that a number of the city’s vehicles were left idle the whole day while some were being used personally by the assigned employees.

Use of ride-hailing app
Benitez said a new system is being proposed to put a bar code in all city vehicles so they could easily be tracked.

The physical inventory of the city government-owned vehicles started last month as part of the preparations for the establishment of a ride-hailing system for its departments and offices.

The system, called the “Mayor Albee Bantug Benitez Cab” or “MABB Cab,” is a mobile app that is similar to ride-hailing apps, wherein any government office that needs transportation service assistance can book a ride to conduct their field work or services.

This initiative is one way to monitor the condition of vehicles and to ensure that all the drivers of the city government will function according to their duties, especially since there are offices that need transportation assistance, said Benitez.

The Office of the Ombudsman has been reminding government officials and employees not to use government-owned vehicles for personal trips otherwise they will face charges. The antigraft office has also been encouraging the public to report any misuse of government vehicles. INQ

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1735469/bacolod-probes-workers-behind-missing-vehicles#ixzz7ucHVsQdU

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

"Workers behind missing vehicles probed"

Better behind a vehicle on the ground than in the spacecraft.  If it hurts at least you have a chance to make a run for it.

• Haha 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I had images of crop circles and vaguely remembered dreams as well :hystery:  The truth is out there....

• Haha 3

Gator
Posted
Posted

I guess they never heard of gps tracking devices. I used them on my trucks in the USA. Was a cost efficient way of not only knowing where they were at, but also their speed and fuel usage (both idling and on highway MPG).  

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

I guess they never heard of gps tracking devices. I used them on my trucks in the USA. Was a cost efficient way of not only knowing where they were at, but also their speed and fuel usage (both idling and on highway MPG).  

The story or in another said they will fit barcodes. What's the use of that unless maybe they did not know the name of GPS trackers? 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

Same in most modern bus fleets... Modern hrmmm.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

Wouldn't that be like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas?  

• Haha 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The story or in another said they will fit barcodes. What's the use of that unless maybe they did not know the name of GPS trackers? 

If by barcodes they mean gps trackers, then it should have been done years ago. It’s not like they’re brand new to the market.  

Possum
Posted
Posted

122 government owned vehicles in Bacolod. Wonder how many Cebu and Manila give out and if they know where they are?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I wonder if it's an organised disappearance of the vehicles, some sort of mass fraud, or just an inordinate amount of inherently dishonest people.