Vitamin D Can Help If You Get Covid

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 3/6/2023 at 6:43 AM, Mike J said:

Sounds kind of like "we think so but we need more testing"?  I am no medical wize by any stretch of imagination.   But I would think that if initial studies show vitamin D helps keep people in the hospital from getting worse, it should also help prevent you from getting it in the first place?

<snip>Meta-analysis is a research process used to systematically synthesise or merge the findings of single, independent studies, using statistical methods to calculate an overall or 'absolute' effect.2 Meta-analysis does not simply pool data from smaller studies to achieve a larger sample size.<end snip>

<snip>heterogeneity - the quality or state of being diverse in character or content.
"the genetic heterogeneity of human populations"<end snip>

It's certainly one of those topics where numerous studies can be rolled out each one contradicting each other. Also many studies when disected by a real scientist reads different to what the layman thinks.  I've had my eyes opened a few times by an immunology professor who regularly rips some of the self proclaimed media experts apart. Dr Campbell is one that regularly gets debunked, he started off good but has now gone down the grifter path and just says what his followers want to hear, he's a nurse practitioner whose docorate is in teaching using digital media. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This was an NIH study so I thought it might be legit, like Fauci, who worked at NIH.  Guess not.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 3/7/2023 at 4:17 PM, OnMyWay said:

This was an NIH study so I thought it might be legit, like Fauci, who worked at NIH.  Guess not.

I think it's an article as oppossed to a peer reviewed study as it was revised on the 27th of Dec 2022, accepted on the 31st Dec 2022 and published on the 16th of Jan 2023 which is light speed for a peer review. The authors decided what trial to include in the article so wouldn't pass any decent peer review process. 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 3/6/2023 at 8:29 AM, OnMyWay said:

And many Filipinos hate the sun!  I think I read that surprisingly, many Asians in the tropics are deficient.

Ever wonder why the locals buy skin whitening creams from Korea and China?  Lighter shade is more socially acceptable.  Light skin means they don't work outdoors as manual laborers.  Filipinos don't hate the sun; they are afraid sunlight will turn their skin black.  Filipinas carry umbrellas for two reasons.  Helps block the sun and cover their rear end if they have to do their business in the field.  

• Like 1