Annoying Local Behavior

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

The way nothing is ever anyone's fault, particularly the person who is at fault.  Yes I get that sometimes "shit happens" and some things are genuinely an accident but the lengths your average Filipino will go to void having the finger pointed at them is an entirely different level.  You know they're lying, they know that you know as well, but... Well you all know what I mean.  Personal responsibility is an anathema here.  

Road use, specifically young filipinas on motorcycles/scooters.  Yes, we all know that near death experiences on the road are common here, whether you're driving or a pedestrian, we've all had a few - but I reckon I could safely say that 80% of incidents I've nearly had involve young filipinas being completely oblivious to anything going on around them to the point they'll look you in the eye as you approach and still a pull out in front of you.  We drive through a lot of small communities around here and tend to sit on about 40kph when doing so.  I can't believe the amount of drivers that barrell through at 80kph+, both western and Filipino.  

I find it hard to believe the voracity of the deaths per 100,000 listed here by country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

• Like 4

mountainside
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, BrettGC said:

The way nothing is ever anyone's fault, particularly the person who is at fault.  Yes I get that sometimes "shit happens" and some things are genuinely an accident but the lengths your average Filipino will go to void having the finger pointed at them is an entirely different level.  You know they're lying, they know that you know as well, but... Well you all know what I mean.  Personal responsibility is an anathema here.  

Road use, specifically young filipinas on motorcycles/scooters.  Yes, we all know that near death experiences on the road are common here, whether you're driving or a pedestrian, we've all had a few - but I reckon I could safely say that 80% of incidents I've nearly had involve young filipinas being completely oblivious to anything going on around them to the point they'll look you in the eye as you approach and still a pull out in front of you.  We drive through a lot of small communities around here and tend to sit on about 40kph when doing so.  I can't believe the amount of drivers that barrell through at 80kph+, both western and Filipino.  

I find it hard to believe the voracity of the deaths per 100,000 listed here by country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Edited by mountainside
Was surprised to see that the US has more fatalities per capita than the Phils. I think I'll always be more cautious and alert driving in the Philippines than the US, though.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Agree Mountainside. :smile:

Not to pile on I notice while driving trike and scooter drivers will often pull out into traffic without looking. Oftentimes will take a U-turn from one side of the road across all lanes of traffic. It seems the norm and scares the heck out of me.

What do you guys think is this a God-fate thing or just ignorance? 

• Like 4

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Old55 said:

Agree Mountainside. :smile:

Not to pile on I notice while driving trike and scooter drivers will often pull out into traffic without looking. Oftentimes will take a U-turn from one side of the road across all lanes of traffic. It seems the norm and scares the heck out of me.

I reckon they don’t give a rats arse, or just plain Richard Craniums, or something else to describe Me,Me, Me.

All of the above plus the absence of any law enforcement.

I was discussing this with a taxi driver In Sydney Australia who gave me these words of wisdom 

“ if it wasn’t for all the police patrols, red light cameras, cameras everywhere watching every move we make, the hefty fines and loss of driving privileges  it would be exactly the same here”.

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Willful ignorance. 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

I was discussing this with a taxi driver In Sydney Australia who gave me these words of wisdom 

“ if it wasn’t for all the police patrols, red light cameras, cameras everywhere watching every move we make, the hefty fines and loss of driving privileges  it would be exactly the same here”.

Yep, of that I have no doubt. 

• Like 1