Annoying Local Behavior

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, JJReyes said:

pedestrians.

The only problem I've had aren't with locals, but foreigners, from Asia / India. They don't respect lines, often cutting to the front to get a taxi for example. Probably because the locals are often submissive, but I ain't.

dogs

Dogs can be a problem in subdivisions, the big ones are noisy and the small ones are allowed to crap everywhere.

I asked after, "How much do I owe?"  The reply, "It's up to you, sir."  In other words, I had to guess. 

Always have the wife ask how much, no "up to you" problems anymore.

Interiors of restaurants are mostly concrete, wood flooring and plywood panels.  Nothing to absorb sound like carpets and draperies.  It is difficult to converse.  Add a young group of friends at a nearby table who, after just one drink, thinks any comment should be followed by a burst of laughter.  They are loud.  They are not drunk, just oblivious that there are other customers.

Try a more international restaurant, like in a hotel. The high price is worth it not just for the food but the relatively quiet atmosphere.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

I was discussing this with a taxi driver In Sydney Australia who gave me these words of wisdom 

“ if it wasn’t for all the police patrols, red light cameras, cameras everywhere watching every move we make, the hefty fines and loss of driving privileges  it would be exactly the same here”.

That is what it seems like, but that is not addressing the root cause.  Why doesn't Philippines develop in these areas like first world countries?  All countries started at some point in these areas decades ago, an slowly but surely progressed with law and order in driving.

The way I see it, it is corruption at all levels of society which leads to lack of real enforcement of laws.  The laws are there.  The corruption drains off the money that should be used to have a viable system of enforcement.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

As was explained to me by a friend , the local police are too scared to do anything  because they live in the area and are afraid of the consequences if they start enforcing the law.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

I'd say 'dog eat dog' is everywhere else, US, Western Europe, Japan etc. That's where I'd never want my kids growing, especially since the dog with the biggest target in the West is the host population.

Of course it is everywhere, but the context here was the day to day rudeness you see in the Philippines, in driving, queuing, etc.  Personal stuff.  How often does a Filipino hold the door open for the next person?  Not often in my experience.

22 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Filipino culture is the exact opposite, heterogeneous like Japan, but without the competitive nature. Instead they're taught since childhood to prioritize God, country, family, and most live so tightly packed that they have no choice but to play well with other Filipino friends and neighbors. Of course there's no money anywhere, except with the elites, but the people are generally content with whatever they have, unlike  the 'developed' world today.

Without the competitive nature?  Filipinos compete at a low level.  Me first, me first.

Yes, taught to prioritize God, country and family.  I like that.  However, they have no problem stabbing someone in the back, including family.  Corruption defies all those teachings but is accepted.  Think about the things that are often discussed here.  Family land disputes, crab mentality, etc.  Almost everyone is Catholic but once they walk out of the church, anything goes.

There is a growing middle class but the elites control everything.  Politics, retail, education, etc.  The lower class is kept low on purpose.  No progress in education.  No emphasis on education.  No funding for education.  No pay for teachers.  The DPED schoolbooks are terrible, full of errors and typos.  Embarrassing.

• Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not sure where you eat but most places I have been are not like that here in the city.

Its exactly like this in Bacolod, one of the reasons we almost never eat out, Even going for a coffee people are screaming at each other from less than a meter away.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, RBM said:

Its exactly like this in Bacolod, one of the reasons we almost never eat out, Even going for a coffee people are screaming at each other from less than a meter away.

Seems to be worse in the South.  My wife's family shouts at each other in Cebuano. 

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Road use, specifically young filipinas on motorcycles/scooters.  Yes, we all know that near death experiences on the road are common here, whether you're driving or a pedestrian, we've all had a few - but I reckon I could safely say that 80% of incidents I've nearly had involve young filipinas being completely oblivious to anything going on around them to the point they'll look you in the eye as you approach and still a pull out in front of you.  We drive through a lot of small communities around here and tend to sit on about 40kph when doing so.  I can't believe the amount of drivers that barrell through at 80kph+, both western and Filipino.  

Last Sunday was taking a rest near the car after a 3 hour hike. Young Filipino grinning from ear to ear  on a loud crappy XRM went flying past me, turned around and repeated, appeared specially for me as he was grinning at me while flying past around 80KM. 

Again turning around and came roaring up road, no helmet or footwear, this time just past me seemed his chain I suspect  came off and wrapped around spokes.  Bike lost rear and scattered all over the road, some how he was able to get up, suspect broken leg as unable to walk, heaps of gravel rash. 

I normally would be first to assist, not sure why how ever i did nothing, maybe as his stupidity was more than I could handle, there were others around and some, (not all) went to help. I jumped in car and left, was worried some how I would be blamed.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, mountainside said:

During my first few months driving in the Philippines I unconsciously stopped from time to allow a pedestrian to cross an intersection.  You all will know what often happened:  the pedestrian would stare at me in disbelief while frozen in place.  And the horns would start blaring behind me.  

I do same as walk a lot here, what really pi........me off is after stopping for them less than 10% would give a thank you gesture........

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, RBM said:

I normally would be first to assist, not sure why how ever i did nothing, maybe as his stupidity was more than I could handle, there were others around and some, (not all) went to help. I jumped in car and left, was worried some how I would be blamed.

Blamed and then held liable for his medical expenses plus fixing his POS bike. 

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, taught to prioritize God, country and family.  I like that.  However, they have no problem stabbing someone in the back, including family.  Corruption defies all those teachings but is accepted.  Think about the things that are often discussed here.  Family land disputes, crab mentality, etc.  Almost everyone is Catholic but once they walk out of the church, anything goes.

That’s because when they go back next week they’ll silently confess and be forgiven. So now they can rinse and repeat all their bad behavior knowing they’ll be forgiven! No shame. 

• Like 2