Annoying Local Behavior

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Gator said:

That’s because when they go back next week they’ll silently confess and be forgiven. So now they can rinse and repeat all their bad behavior knowing they’ll be forgiven! No shame. 

Actually I should not paint with a broad brush.  There are many exceptions.  I have a good Filipino friend who is one and that is probably why we get on well.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

I do same as walk a lot here, what really pi........me off is after stopping for them less than 10% would give a thank you gesture........

I ocassionally  say " you are welcome " and when they look at me with that wide mouth open look say " no your welcome , it was my pleasure to stop for you. No need to say thankyou.. none at all. " lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

mountainside
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

I was discussing this with a taxi driver In Sydney Australia who gave me these words of wisdom 

“ if it wasn’t for all the police patrols, red light cameras, cameras everywhere watching every move we make, the hefty fines and loss of driving privileges  it would be exactly the same here”.

Folks in Viet Nam, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, maybe Cambodia, and the Philippines have smiled at me and said:  "No police, no helmet."

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

I think any discussion of behavior here needs to consider the two classes, lower and upper. Those without power, and those with. Myself and most expats I know don't interact with powerful Filipinos (except for the occasional power-tripping ahole at BI) and we're thankful for it. 

5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

the day to day rudeness you see in the Philippines,

In the Philippines they actually have intersections without lights or even signs. Trying that in any big Western city would be an experiment in road-rage.

5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

the elites control everything.  Politics, retail, education, etc.  The lower class is kept low on purpose.

And the lower class accepts it, that's the entire point; they're an accepting, content populace, that's what makes the nation, the people, and potential partners so attractive for expats.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

a huge Hilux or Fortuna starts coming in the opposite direction. They rarely back up, but will flash lights telling me (I imagine) to back up to give them way...

Proving the point about the upper class, but they don't reflect the majority of the population, who also see them as what they are; 'hambug' (arrogant).

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, RBM said:

Last Sunday was taking a rest near the car after a 3 hour hike. Young Filipino grinning from ear to ear  on a loud crappy XRM went flying past me, turned around and repeated, appeared specially for me as he was grinning at me while flying past around 80KM. 

Again turning around and came roaring up road, no helmet or footwear, this time just past me seemed his chain I suspect  came off and wrapped around spokes.  Bike lost rear and scattered all over the road, some how he was able to get up, suspect broken leg as unable to walk, heaps of gravel rash. 

I normally would be first to assist, not sure why how ever i did nothing, maybe as his stupidity was more than I could handle, there were others around and some, (not all) went to help. I jumped in car and left, was worried some how I would be blamed.

Darwinism in action?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Major Tom said:

It’s not really behavior, but I am annoyed when I use bathrooms at SM Malls, since there is typically no soap, no paper towels, and sometimes no toilet paper. As far as toilet paper, I have to bring my own.

Recently at an S & R I needed to use the toilet. Usually the CRs at S & R are tidy and clean. This time, I was disgusted when I lifted the lid and saw big, dirty shoe-prints on the seat! But I was in a hurry and had no choice but to use it. At least there was a huge, commercial roll of TP to wipe off the seat!

• Like 1