Who Pays the Bill?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

At restaurants, I usually order the meal, but 7 out 10 times, the staff presents the bill to my wife.  The same thing happens at clothing stores.  This also happened twice after a taxi ride.  Is it just us because my wife is always neatly dressed?  Or is it cultural?  My recollection is things were different when we lived here more than 30 years ago.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Silly question Sir JJ...... happens to me as well. They all know exactly who the boss is. :2245_safe:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gas
Posted
Posted

Really doesn’t bother me who they give the bill too. We both carry money/cards and it all comes out of the same place. 
Obviously if I invited the wife out for a special meal I would pay but otherwise it’s whoever they give the bill to that pays. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I think in the majority of Philippine households the wife is in charge of the budget.  Even when I accept the bill, my wife wants to see it before I pay. :tongue:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

I think in the majority of Philippine households the wife is in charge of the budget. 

True, I constantly get replies address to "ma'am" when interacting in business text or chat, it's hilariously one-sided.

Though I think in OP's case, some staff is just shy to interact with foreigners.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Over there the wife pays for everything, then she tells me what I owe her , then I check the bill to see if her service charge has been added because she paid the bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I speak in Tagalog when ordering food in a restaurant.  Maybe the staff assumes this means I am a typical Filipino who won't tip them (True).   They give the bill to my wife hoping she is more generous (Not True).  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Easy here, the wife uses the old adage:  What's hers is hers and mine is hers as well. 

She looks after the home budgeting, so she pays. 

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Easy here, the wife uses the old adage:  What's hers is hers and mine is hers as well. 

She looks after the home budgeting, so she pays. 

Is that the norm for Australians i.e. the wife looks after the money rather then the husband?  

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Is that the norm for Australians i.e. the wife looks after the money rather then the husband?  

Not really, there's no real norm, different couples do it differently.  

Personally I couldn't be bothered and the wife has proved time and time again that she's a champion with money and budgeting.  So one less thing to worry about to my mind.  Yes we discuss the bigger decisions but day to day she runs the show. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1