Negros Governor and 5 others assassinated

Gator
Posted
Posted

Wife just told me Negros is on lockdown as they search for the remaining suspects. 

A Philippine governor and 5 other people are killed in a brazen attack

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MANILA, Philippines — Gunmen in military uniforms fatally shot a governor and five civilians on Saturday while the provincial leader was meeting villagers at his home in the central Philippines, in the latest brazen assault on local politicians in the country, police said.

At least six men armed with assault rifles and wearing military-style camouflage and bulletproof vests alighted from three SUVs and opened fire on Negros Oriental Gov. Roel Degamo, hitting him and at least five other people in front of his home in Pamplona town. The province has a history of violent political rivalries.

Pamplona Mayor Janice Degamo, the wife of the slain governor, said in a Facebook video that the five villagers also died.

She demanded justice and said her husband "did not deserve that kind of death. He was serving constituents on a Saturday along with his department heads."

A total of 10 suspects were seen fleeing the scene and later abandoned the SUVs, police said. Police set up security checkpoints and launched a province-wide search for the suspects.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. condemned the mid-morning attack, which took place as impoverished villagers gathered in front of Degamo's house to seek medical and other aid.

"My government will not rest until we have brought the perpetrators of this dastardly and heinous crime to justice," Marcos said in a statement.

Marcos said without elaborating that authorities had gathered "much information and now have a clear direction on how to proceed to bring to justice those behind this killing." He addressed the mastermind and the killers, saying, "We will find you. If you surrender now it will be your best option."

Degamo's killing underscores that even local politicians are not immune from high-profile gun violence that has persisted despite the government's pledge to combat it.

Last month, Gov. Mamintal Alonto Adiong Jr. of southern Lanao del Sur province was wounded and four of his bodyguards killed in an attack on their convoy. Police said they killed one of the suspects in a clash.

In a separate recent attack, unidentified men reportedly wearing police uniforms fired at the van of northern Aparri town Vice Mayor Rommel Alameda, killing him and five companions in northern Nueva Vizcaya province. The suspects remain at large.

Crimes, decades-long Muslim and communist rebellions, and other security concerns are some of the major problems inherited by Marcos, who took office in June last year.

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/04/1161141561/philippines-governor-killed-shooting-attack

• Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This is nuts!  That first one is close to Dumaguete.  I never heard about the one in Nueva Vizcaya.

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

Wife just told me Negros is on lockdown as they search for the remaining suspects. 

Negros is not on lockdown.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have been following this, there is a video of the shooting.  I will not post the URL as it is extremely violent.  Several of the suspects are in custody and at least one was killed by police.  

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ram1957 said:

Negros is not on lockdown.

Not a lockdown, but they believe they know all the suspects and officers are manning seaports, airports, bus terminals, etc.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm a firm believer if you fly with the crows you'll eventually get shot. I don't know the victims background but from experience you don't get to the top without climbing over others.  I wonder who else won't be sleeping comfortably tonight. 

Possum
Posted
Posted

So, these guys were sitting around and decided to go shoot up the place and kill the governor? We'll never know whose idea this was.

I do not want to live near any politician here.

Gator
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Greglm said:

So, these guys were sitting around and decided to go shoot up the place and kill the governor? We'll never know whose idea this was.

Per my AM: “They killed Degamo cuz the elder brother of Arnolfo was the governor, but Degamo filed a case against him for cheating during the election.” 

Don’t know if the others were just innocent victims who happened to be there or if they were Degamo’s cronies and were targeted as well. 

50 minutes ago, Greglm said:

I do not want to live near any politician here.

I wish I could say the same, but I can’t, lol. A councilman and a high ranking PNP officer live within spitting distance of me. Plus I often see large gun toting guys wearing polo shirts that say “Mayor’s Security” on them.  I’m not sure if he also has a residence here or if he’s just visiting. At least at night they shut down the small cross street they live on so it’s fairly quiet. I live around the corner on a dead end street and there’s a very high wall between them and me, so I think I’m safe from any crossfire ……or at least I hope I am. Hahahahaha 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

One of the many Teves family members recently won the election, this was overturned by the electoral commission months after he was sworn in on the grounds of a nuisance candidate having a similar name so confusing the voters.  Degamo was subsequently named winner despite it being his third term but got in on a loophole similar to the one D30 tried to exploit to run for vice president in the same round of elections but withdrew after legal advice.  

Anyone watch FPJ?  When I first saw it a few years ago I thought it was hilarious but now I've been following PI politics it makes me wonder.  It's Filipino action/political drama about corruption here for those that don't know.  Overacted, wildly implausible, but strangely entertaining.

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Gator said:

Per my AM: “They killed Degamo cuz the elder brother of Arnolfo was the governor, but Degamo filed a case against him for cheating during the election.” 

I don't know where you are getting your information from but it is incorrect. Degamo had a case filed against him not the other way around. The case went to to the supreme court and they ruled for Degamo. Degamo has had alot of threats against him while he was governor and most were before the last election.