A Day to Remember...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Why a day to remember?  It probably won't happen again here in The Philippines. 

On Thursday the wife and did a day trip to Dumaguete to do all that admin type stuff we can't complete here in "The Province".  The list of tasks was relatively long and we weren't all that hopeful of completing them all given past experience with government and private industry bureaucracy here.  

First stop was LTO to finally pick up my actual plastic licence.  I'd completed all the requirements for conversion back in March last year but due to their licence printer being broken and wasn't repaired until November I'd been carrying around my receipt in the meantime as proof.  We hadn't really had a chance to get to Dumaguete (you could only pick it up where you applied despite it being online in their system).  In and out in 10 minutes.  Good start to the day.  

Next was BI for extension and ACR renewal.  It's the first time I'd been there since the country opened up again so was used to there either being no one else or very few other customers. We arrive and there's about 15 other guys waiting.  Only had to wait about 30 mins, paid for both, "come back at 1pm sir to collect your passport and receipt".  I also confirmed with them that despite having entered on the 9a, which is normally only 2 years stay, but due to the circumstances (EED exclusion as the spouse of a Philippine national during covid lockdowns) and due to my Australian citizenship, I can stay 3 years as a tourist.  Good to know.  10k PHP and change for the 6 month extension and ACR renewal.  They actually had more staff in there than normal.   Just a side note, they've changed the extension form again but it's not updated on the website; I'd printed and filled out the old form the day before but had to redo it.  No biggy, it only takes a couple of minutes.  

AM's (Angry Midget - wife) Globe post-paid contract for her phone was up, so off to Globe to see what to do next.  "Pick a post-paid plan Ma'am, and a new phone if you like".  AM declined the new phone and sorted a new plan.  As walk-ins, no appointment, in and out in 15 mins. 

What was this alternate reality we'd wandered into??

Next was DFA just across the way so AM could renew her passport.  Arrived  early, admitted early, and out before her appointment time.  

Next up, sort out an issue with our car insurance and the cost.  Went to Siliman Portal West and found the office easily enough.  "Oh sorry sir, we quoted you the wrong price and it's actually 5k PHP less".  In and out in 5 mins.  I now know who underwrites Toyota's in-house insurance and can deal directly with them.  Bonus.  

By this time I'd given up on the alternate reality idea and decided I was having some sort of dream.  I actually checked for flags around the place to make sure I was still in PI!

1pm rolls around and back to BI.  Again, a long line.  As usual I approached the guard and told him it was a pickup.  I was admitted within 5 minutes and out about 3 minutes after that. 

Next stop was Toyota in Sibulan on the way home to pick up our discount card.  It was waiting for us.  

We drove off happily into the sunset.  Against expectations we made it home before sunset which is a good thing, neither of us like driving at night on "Province" roads. 

Apologies to the Duma mob for not catching up with anyone but our dance card was pretty full and we had commitments here at home that night.  

Our expectation was we'd have positive results from possibly 3 of our little missions....

Will we have another day like that again that involves multiple government agencies and private entities?  I doubt it, but we live in hope. 

You know Brett, I'm not surprised at your good fortune.  Most of the time here such interactions go well, and better than we expect.  We tend to moan and whinge on the few times things go wrong which paints a skewed version of reality.  I'll hold my hand up and admit I'm as guilty as the next man for this.

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

You know Brett, I'm not surprised at your good fortune.  Most of the time here such interactions go well, and better than we expect.  We tend to moan and whinge on the few times things go wrong which paints a skewed version of reality.  I'll hold my hand up and admit I'm as guilty as the next man for this.

I agree.  The only things I was pretty sure that would go pear shaped were LTO and the insurance.  Based on AM's past interactions with DFA that could've gone either way.  

Edit:  Globe can be a wild card as well. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Will we have another day like that again that involves multiple government agencies and private entities?  I doubt it, but we live in hope. 

images.jpeg

• Haha 2