Canadian Becomes A Filipino Citizen

Major Tom
Posted
Posted (edited)

House grants Filipino citizenship to Canadian vlogger Kyle Douglas Jennermann for highlighting PH scenic spots

By GMA Integrated News

The House of Representatives has approved a bill granting Filipino citizenship to Canadian video blogger Kyle Douglas Jennermann on third and final reading.

House Bill 7185, which granted Jennermann the Filipino citizenship, garnered 244 "yes" votes, zero "no "votes, and one abstention.

Laguna Representative Marlyn Alonte, the author of the measure, said Jennerman, nicknamed Kulas, lived with the purpose of introducing the Philippines to the rest of the world through his Youtube channel called Becoming Filipino.

New Phil Citizen.jpg

“Through time, effort, and his love for the country (Philippines), he has become an internet sensation with close to a million subscribers. Through his vlogs, he has created and published thousands of video content showcasing his real-life interactions and connections with the Filipino people and their culture all throughout his eight years of immersive travel across 80 of the country’s 81 provinces,” Alonte said in her explanatory note.

“In view of Kyle Jennermann's contributions to the promotion of Filipino culture and identity to the rest of the world, the immediate approval of this bill is earnestly sought,” Alonte added.

Alonte’s bill will also have to hurdle Senate approval before it is signed into law by President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. 

Please note:  Unlike my homeland (USA) where Filipinos can keep their Filipino citizenship when they become USA citizens through naturalization, the Philippines requires people to renounce their other citizenship(s). There are also other countries that allow multiple citizenships but not the Philippines.

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/lifestyle/travel/862398/house-grants-filipino-citizenship-to-canadian-vlogger-kyle-douglas-jennermann-for-highlighting-ph-scenic/story/?amp

Edited by Major Tom

• Major Tom changed the title to Canadian Becomes A Filipino Citizen
JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There are also cases of Syrians, who came to the Philippines as UN refugees, granted citizenship.  In their cases, the approval was through the court system rather than an Act of Congress.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Major Tom said:

There are also other countries that allow multiple citizenships but not the Philippines.

Then I do not understand how so many Filipinos have 2 passports, Philippines and USA for example, when they go through immigration.  Surely, if multiple citizenship was not allowed in the Philippines then someone would be charged, deported, or arrested for that?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Then I do not understand how so many Filipinos have 2 passports, Philippines and USA for example, when they go through immigration.  Surely, if multiple citizenship was not allowed in the Philippines then someone would be charged, deported, or arrested for that?

I personally know multiple people that hold both Australian and Filipino passports as well.  I believe the statement in the OP to be patently wrong. In fact, I believe the situation to be where a Filipino citizen has to rescind Philippine citizenship to acquire another, they can later reacquire their Philippine citizenship and maintain both.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Please note:  Unlike my homeland (USA) where Filipinos can keep their Filipino citizenship when they become USA citizens through naturalization, the Philippines requires people to renounce their other citizenship(s). There are also other countries that allow multiple citizenships but not the Philippines.

The Philippines does require a person to renounce their other citizenship.  However, that renunciation carries zero weight with their home country and they DO NOT lose their citizenship.   I don't think I will be following a blog of someone who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. :whistling:

<snip>

To renounce U.S. citizenship, you must voluntarily and with the intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship:
appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer, in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate);
sign an oath of renunciation.
pay a $2,350.00 fee

<end snip>

<snip>

You can voluntarily renounce your Canadian Citizenship provided

you do not currently live in Canada
you are a citizen of a country (or countries) other than Canada in addition to being a Canadian citizen so that, when you renounce, you will still have citizenship of that other country (or countries)
you are at least 18 years of age
you are capable of understanding the significance of renouncing your citizenship.

<end snip>

Edited by Mike J

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Renunciation of citizenship is a separate issue from also having the citizenship of another country.  The US policy is to only recognize the American passport (no dual citizenship).  Born in the United States, you can qualify as a natural citizen or, if not, acquire it through the process of immigration.  However, the US government acknowledges there are other countries that use bloodline as a basis.  You have a father or mother who is a citizen, then you also have the right of citizenship.  Renunciation is usually for political or tax reasons.  United States citizens or permanent resident pay federal taxes on their global income.  This taxation stops if you are no longer a citizen.

mountainside
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Then I do not understand how so many Filipinos have 2 passports, Philippines and USA for example

Here's the US situation:  if a Filipino in the US becomes a US citizen through naturalization, that Filipino will lose his/her Filipino citizenship upon becoming a US citizen.  But that Filipino can then apply for reaffirmation/reacquisition of Filipino citizenship at a Philippine Consulate in the US (or upon returning to the Phils).  Then the Phils will recognize that person as a dual citizen.  That dual citizen can hold both Philippine and US passports.  My Filipino wife is in the process of becoming a US citizen.  If she becomes one, she'll then have the option of going the dual citizen route.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

The Philippines does require a person to renounce their other citizenship.  However, that renunciation carries zero weight with their home country and they DO NOT lose their citizenship.   I don't think I will be following a blog of someone who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. :whistling:

<snip>

To renounce U.S. citizenship, you must voluntarily and with the intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship:
appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer, in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate);
sign an oath of renunciation.
pay a $2,350.00 fee

<end snip>

<snip>

You can voluntarily renounce your Canadian Citizenship provided

you do not currently live in Canada
you are a citizen of a country (or countries) other than Canada in addition to being a Canadian citizen so that, when you renounce, you will still have citizenship of that other country (or countries)
you are at least 18 years of age
you are capable of understanding the significance of renouncing your citizenship.

<end snip>

2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This depends on whether you're a natural born Filipino or not. Foreigners who want to become Filipino must renounce their original citizenship before they're considered to be Filipino. That means that a foreigner can't have dual citizenship with the Philippines.Oct 11, 2018

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

However, the US government acknowledges there are other countries that use bloodline as a basis. 

For some reason I had it in my head the US allowed citizenship by descent to the first generation.  

I'm dual Australian/Republic of Ireland by descent i.e. my father.  Yes, I lived there as a kid but was born in Australia (mother is Australian).  Thing is when I joined the Aussie navy I had to relinquish Irish citizenship within 12 months of joining (Australian Defence Force does not allow dual-citizens).  When I left the navy it was an easy process to reacquire it;  called the Irish embassy in Canberra to enquire, their reply was "To be sure, to be sure...".  Similar to the Philippines I believe in that you have to relinquish but can then reacquire.  Makes bugger all sense, but it is what it is. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Foreigners who want to become Filipino must renounce their original citizenship before they're considered to be Filipino.

I understand the point now.  However, as Mike J stated:

1 hour ago, Mike J said:

The Philippines does require a person to renounce their other citizenship.  However, that renunciation carries zero weight with their home country and they DO NOT lose their citizenship.

So it looks like more of a formality for the foreigner to renounce their original citizenship.  It would be entirely impractical for a Canadian to do that.  They would not be able to visit Canada on a Philippine passport.  My brother in Australia found that out.  He is dual Aus/Can citizenship and Canadian immigration would not let him come back to Canada on his Aus passport because he was still considered a Canadian citizen and requires a Canadian Passport to re-enter the country.  For LINK click here.

• Like 2