13 students in Barili ‘possessed by evil spirits’

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)

AT LEAST 13 students of Patupat National High School in Barili town, southwest Cebu were allegedly possessed by evil spirits in the middle of their class.  The incident happened at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, March 14, 2023, according to Staff Sergeant Carlos Dicdican.  The students were attended to by their teachers and classmates before the personnel of the Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (MDRRMO) arrived.  The MDRRMO personnel brought the 10 students to Birhen delos Remedios chapel in Patupat for a priest to perform an exorcism, while the three others were taken to the school’s infirmary.  The victims were all females between the ages of 15 and 16 who were in grade 7, junior high, and senior high. 

According to Patupat barangay captain Angelito Nemeño, the students were already tired and not feeling well as of Monday, March 14.  "What I do know is that it began last year during the campfire, perhaps while the kids were having fun. But the other day, I simply ignored it because it's possible that they were only hungry because they hadn't eaten. But the child appeared like a brave man who spoke in a different way. Today, they returned to school. There are more students now. It's different because they shout, “Leave, I'm going to kill you all.” If you come closer, they will tell you to leave." In line with this, Nemeño suggested to the school principal to temporarily suspend classes while the victims are still recovering and to make room for the blessing and Holy Mass in order to drive away the bad elements.  He also agreed with the idea of the school officials to hold a Holy Mass in the school once a month. 

Meanwhile, Fr. Reynaldo Cui, who performed the exorcism rites, described the incident as a "mass hysteria."  It is said that the victims found a shadow of a man.  Cui said the victims cannot be considered possessed if the case falls within the exorcism category.  "It really can’t be called possession but rather oppression as being classified under the exorcism literature. Because there are auditory hauntings, there are visions, apparitions. The possessed person can change his voice. Their voices are still the same but strong."  The priest asserted that after praying for them and hearing their confessions, he was able to calm the students down.  Cui then went to the school to offer a prayer for deliverance.  "I can see that Typhoon Odette caused a lot of damage, in addition to the elemental spirits. Due to the many rooms that were destroyed, they were crowded into one room, so most likely the children’s condition will probably worsen if they are under a lot of stress." https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1956033/cebu/local-news/13-students-in-barili-possessed-by-evil-spirits

Just when you thought there were enough reasons to home-school.

Edited by Kingpin
  • Haha 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

Just when you thought there were enough reasons to home-school.

I'd be having serious words with the school if they let my kid go to a priest instead of the local hospital. No doubt it will turn out to be the latest Tik Tok challenge. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

When friends and I wanted to skip school we had to write a note and forge our parents handwriting.   Never tried the "possessed by evil spirits"  excuse.  :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I need to get with a Priest beginning to think my BMW is possessed by demons.

• Haha 2

mountainside
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Never tried the "possessed by evil spirits"  excuse.

Me either  Seems to be a girl thing.  https://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/opinion/sunday/adolescent-girl-hysteria.html  

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mike J said:

When friends and I wanted to skip school we had to write a note and forge our parents handwriting.   Never tried the "possessed by evil spirits"  excuse.  :whistling:

I would have tried the evil spirit possession thing but the response would have probably been something like"we're known that for years, go to class"

• Haha 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Old55 said:

Ask the priest to bring special holy water.  The water blessing will get rid of demons and ruin the paint job.

• Haha 3

mountainside
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2023 at 8:14 PM, Old55 said:

1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Ask the priest to bring special holy water.  The water blessing will get rid of demons and ruin the paint job.

I'd rather keep the paint and cope with the demons -- but then I'd have to hire a driver who can conquer demons -- and I can't afford that driver.  Let alone the fine Bimmer with a custom paint color.

Edited by mountainside
  • Like 2