'Not my King': Protestors Heckle King Charles at Commonwealth Service

Major Tom
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Major Tom
update

• Major Tom changed the title to 'Not my King': Protestors Heckle King Charles at Commonwealth Service
GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Australia has had a strong Republican movement for decades now, it appears that something similar is getting started in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Australia has had a strong Republican movement for decades now, it appears that something similar is getting started in the UK.

There has always been some form of Republicanism in the UK and I'm not sure it's really much stronger now.  Probably just a reaction to the 'change in leadership' of the royal family and the opportunity this provides to those opposed to the royal family.  

The two major football teams in Scotland have long since been associated with having pro-royal and anti-loyal sentiments respectively.  

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Not really . Theres a few malcontents about every subject including monarchy but a few rich educated prats with some posters doesnt exactly signify a movement.... they are same nuttas as Extinction Rebellion and a few of the climate change demonstrators too. Any cause seems to work for these folk, as they surely dont work... other than working at irritating.

Interesting though about Aus...despite many many years of a Republic movement there, nothings happened. 1999 referendum  and 24 years later......

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Freebie said:

Interesting though about Aus...despite many many years of a Republic movement there, nothings happened. 1999 referendum  and 24 years later......

The monarchists were very clever in how they went about that particular referendum, they specifically worded things in such a way that they split the republican movement into the "we want an elected head of state" group (ie an elected President) and the "minimalist change to the constitution" group (ie replace the Governor General's but retain the same powers, just a different name and delete the (ceremonial) links to the monarchy.

After the public went basically "Boo!" to the second option the government put lipstick on their pig and were going to allow the public to (somehow) choose from a group selected by the parliament (less Boos but still unpopular).

That led to many of the "elected President Republicans" voting against the referedum on the basis that it was better to wait and get a more desired outcome than 'settle'.

There has been a recent push for a second referendum but the current government have said not until after the Indiginous Voice to Parliament referendum is done and dusted (which pushes it back in the next term of government).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Freebie said:

Theres a few malcontents about every subject including monarchy but a few rich educated prats with some posters doesnt exactly signify a movement.

As more and more Commonwealth countries pull away from the Monarchy, such as Jamaica, I see a movement beginning. In a way, Jamaica is the proverbial "canary in the coal mine" for the future of the Monarchy. Just look at how Prince Willian and Kate were spoken to by the Prime Minister of Jamaica:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

As more and more Commonwealth countries pull away from the Monarchy, such as Jamaica, I see a movement beginning. In a way, Jamaica is the proverbial "canary in the coal mine" for the future of the Monarchy. Just look at how Prince Willian and Kate were spoken to by the Prime Minister of Jamaica:

I'm not so sure it's the beginning of a movement given Queen Elizabeth presided over 32 independent countries when she became queen and just 14 remained when she died.  It's a movement which has been ongoing for decades and even before she became queen.  

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Long live the king and the future king too

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Long live the king and the future king too

I had huge respect for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, I have much less for King Charles.

He seems to lack the previous Queens ability to finese situations and appears to suffer from somewhat of a short fuse.

However the ability (or lack thereof) of current and past monarchs has little to do with where Australia (and many other Commonwealth countries) are heading.

Younger generations (unlike most of us commonwealth forum members) didn't sing God Save the Queen, didn't stand at attention while the anthem was played, didn't have flag ceremonies at schools (or work) and they simply lack the connection to the monarchy that older generations have.

And that will be reflected over time with more and more Commonwealth countries cutting direct ties with the monarchy I believe.

Am I saying that's a good thing?  Nope, but nor am I saying it's a bad thing... it just... is.

As for me?  I'm neither a Republican not a Monarchist, and yes this fence can be uncomfortable to sit on at times :)

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

He seems to lack the previous Queens ability to finese situations and appears to suffer from somewhat of a short fuse.

We should think ourselves lucky - his younger brother would have been a much worse option!

I will say in King Charles's defence the Queen was always going to be a hard act to follow.  Also, she had the advantage (it probably didn't seem so at the time) of coming to power at a young age, perhaps before she had developed her own character and personality fully so didn't have any bad habits to unlearn - King Charles has had 74 years to develop his bad habits.  His father was famous for having a short fuse so I suppose King Charles has inherited that trait. 

• Like 3