Corned Beef

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Has anyone found pre-seasoned corned beef in any stores? I mean the big roast type, not the canned stuff.

• Hmm thinking 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Has anyone found pre-seasoned corned beef in any stores? I mean the big roast type, not the canned stuff.

Getting ready for St. Patty's? Hope you find some!   

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Brisket not available in Philippines? Fairly easy to season one yourself and throw in the slow cooker.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Old55 said:

Brisket not available in Philippines? 

Have not seen it fresh in roastable sizes but then have not tried any true butcher shops.... not many around... And none of the plastic bagged corned beef that I used to buy almost anywhere in a grocery store in USA. Not even in S & R.

• Hmm thinking 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Great idea, but I would need to find the brisket first and the seasoning on another search. And we don't have a slow cooker yet.... except for me... I am a very slow cooker!

A little close to St. Patty’s this year, but for next year if you find the brisket, spices and curing salt (pink #1 / not to be confused with the pink Himalayan salt) then you’re better off brining it, but it takes about 5 to max 7 days. Will have the same or very close to the same flavor as what we know from in USA. Plenty of recipes on the web for making it yourself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

not the canned stuff

I'd love to have my wife taste the real corned beef at a deli, but I almost sure that she would taste it and say that she likes canned Argentina corned beef much better. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Our Sunday lunch food rotation included corned beef soup.  A large, cured slab was placed in a large pot with plenty of cabbage and peppercorn.  It was slowly cooked by simmering for hours with potatoes added during the last hour.  Like many things in the Philippines, there is a network of families that supply specialty meats and products.  This includes items you can't find in stores.  For example, our farm supplied squabs (pigeons).  Attending several family parties during this visit, we came across dishes like Greek spit roasted lamb and Southern barbecue briskets.  They are prepared at someone's home for profit.  

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Major Tom said:

I'd love to have my wife taste the real corned beef at a deli, but I almost sure that she would taste it and say that she likes canned Argentina corned beef much better. LOL

Your post has me wanting a corned beef on rye with a little dijon mustard. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Your post has me wanting a corned beef on rye with a little dijon mustard. :thumbsup:

Piled high on the bread and fresh from the steam table…..I’m right with you! 

I haven’t tried it yet, but I seen Pastrami at S&R. I did get a small ham from there last week and it was very good. Sliced for a sandwich or a thicker slice, fried with a few eggs for breakfast. 

• Like 3