Commendable local behavior

Viking
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Gator said:

I profusely thanked them both and offered a few hundred pesos to at least repay for the medical supplies and a small towel they used to clean me up, but they absolutely refused. Instead the next day I went back with a bucket of Jolibee chicken with fries; they didn't say no to that :). 

Great idea, I will do this to the Banana-lady!

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Freebie said:

In the irritating local behaviour I told how security guards were having a power trip in trying to prevent my TV repair guy from accessing my property.

He came once and advised it needed repairing.. I paid hsi call out charge. . Duh. ..Second time he changed all backlights and it was working when he left. I paid for new backlights  A day later it stopped. He came for third time, and it was working well. He spent two hours going through everything he knew to fix ( change capacitors etc ) When he left I asked how much. He said nothing. He said he thought he had fixed it after second effort so he was embarrassed he hadn't fixed it properly.  I insisted he take something as he had spent so much time. He said " OK I take P 200 ". One of the good guys.

I had a similar experience with the guy trying to fix our shower - 2 or 3 visits and wouldn't accept payment for the 3rd. I persuaded him to take money for fuel. 

Yep, for every bad experience here there is probably a good one to balance.  And, much of the whinges are similar to what I had in Hong Kong. 

• Like 5

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 3/18/2023 at 8:58 PM, Viking said:

Honesty like this always make me happy. I tried to give her 200p to show my appreciation but she refused to accept it.

Then it becomes your turn to refuse to accept her refusal.

The most commendable behavior is just part of the culture of acceptance, meaning most workers accept their place in society. You could buy a TV that costs more than the combined houses and possessions of all the workers attending you, and there isn't a hint of unease. They don't look at the customer and envy what you have, they appreciate what they have, even if it's customer service work.

• Like 2