Commendable local behavior

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yesterday had rather a gratifying experience, very rare here. As always, if people on a pedestrian crossing I stop, ignoring the toots and semi road rage behind me. This time was a middle aged guy whom gave me a nice wave for stopping, this is extremely rare and warmed the cockles.....

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Yesterday, we had difficulties crossing Legazpi St. fronting our hotel.  The traffic flow was never ending.  A passenger van driver coming from the side road noticed our predicament.  He used his van to block the entire street and never mind that everyone was tooting their horns.  He waved to us to proceed, then shouted at a motorcylist trying to manuever through a small gap.  We waved our thanks for his thoughtfulness and courtesy.

I sympathize here as I also must cross a busy street when ever I take a long walk. Traffic is never ending, zebra crossings ignored, had once a similar experience, nice feeling. 

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

And sadly this morning , two JoyRide riders with passengers both waved at me t to get out of the way as I was on a pedestrian crossing, Makati  Ave and De La Rosa. I walk across that crossing every day and its always a mixed bag.. sometimes cars and bikes stop but mostly its selfish inconsiderate bastards who have no idea what a pedestrian crossing is.  The more they beep ( whem Im on a crossing ) the much slower I seem to go.

I also find an arm raised and very confident stride tends to stop most adventurous cars, who think they can get across before me. Bikes are another matter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Freebie said:

And sadly this morning , two JoyRide riders with passengers both waved at me t to get out of the way as I was on a pedestrian crossing, Makati  Ave and De La Rosa. I walk across that crossing every day and its always a mixed bag.. sometimes cars and bikes stop but mostly its selfish inconsiderate bastards who have no idea what a pedestrian crossing is.  The more they beep ( whem Im on a crossing ) the much slower I seem to go.

I also find an arm raised and very confident stride tends to stop most adventurous cars, who think they can get across before me. Bikes are another matter.

It was interesting when I visited Vietnam several years ago. Their roads are packed with motorcycle traffic - I mean almost solid like a river of them... I was very intimidated at first until a local told me how to deal with it. He said to just start walking across the road at a steady pace, don't speed up or slow down and it will be fine. I did that and I felt like Moses parting the sea! They just went around me as if I were a rock they were going around... Sadly... that's not the case here... Motorcycle drivers here seem to think they are immortal or, at least, the best drivers on the planet... They frighten me, even when driving my car, as they zoom in and out with abandon. I also have seen a lot of accident sites with motorcycles damaged on the pavement...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 3/22/2023 at 10:14 AM, Freebie said:

The locals usually use the hand stop signal which usually works so do the same.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

California has or had a law that pedestrians always have the right of way.  Once they step off the curb into the street, be ready to hit the brakes.  Unfortunately, a few pedestrians abuse this privilege.  Several times teenagers cross the street in front of me wearing earphones and eyes glued to their mobile phones without looking out for traffic.  Philippines should pass a law making it the motorist who is automatically at fault for hitting pedestrians.  I still remember the old days when hitting a provincial semi-feral chicken meant paying for the chicken and future generations that chicken is expected to produce.  Several residents would also step forward claiming it was their chicken you ran over.

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I still remember the old days when hitting a provincial semi-feral chicken meant paying for the chicken and future generations that chicken is expected to produce.  Several residents would also step forward claiming it was their chicken you ran over.

Unfortunately I ran over and broke the leg of a young goat that belonged to our neighbor.  The tale he told my wife was sad indeed.  Turned it he loved all his goats but this one in particular was HIS FAVORITE.  He LOVED this baby goat and was the joy of his life.   It took 500 peso to take away his grief, I think he used the money to buy beer.  Took the goat over to papa's house.  I am not a fan of goat, but I have to say the meat was tender. :tongue:

• Haha 5

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Unfortunately I ran over and broke the leg of a young goat that belonged to our neighbor.  The tale he told my wife was sad indeed.  Turned it he loved all his goats but this one in particular was HIS FAVORITE.  He LOVED this baby goat and was the joy of his life.   It took 500 peso to take away his grief, I think he used the money to buy beer.  Took the goat over to papa's house.  I am not a fan of goat, but I have to say the meat was tender. :tongue:

I am pretty sure, if you run over another of his goats, that one will be his new favorite 😂

Reminds me of the movie: You don't mess with Zohan.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2