Ceiling insulation

BLM
Posted
Posted

The upstairs at my place gets very hot in the afternoon even with the AC going full blast. The lower sections stay cool. The heat is radiating down from the ceiling. I wonder if they didn't put ant insulation or that isn't done here. It's a slanted roof with maybe 6 to 8 inches of space between the ceiling and roof metal.

Instead of tearing up the ceiling to install insulation I'd like to find out if anyone has any solutions or tried things to insulate from the inside, like ceiling tiles of some kind.  I can't paint the roof white because the homeowners association forbids any color other than burgundy. 

13 Oct 21 house.jpg

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Is your roof vented?

A simple mod would be adding a couple solar powered or powered attic fans to circulate that hot air out.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, BLM said:

The upstairs at my place gets very hot in the afternoon even with the AC going full blast. The lower sections stay cool.

Did you consider a Roof vent, Many say the work fine. Toprise Wind Rotary Ventilator Spinning Ventilator Roof Turbine Vent Attic  Ventilation Spinaway Roof Ventilator - China Roof Ventilator and Wind  Ventilator

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, BLM said:

I can't paint the roof white because the homeowners association forbids any color other than burgundy. 

That's too bad.  The Philippine houses I have lived in that were reasonably acceptable for "coolness" all had galvanized roofing that reflected the heat.  Colored metal or flat concrete roofs were both too hot for me.  None of them had any insulation.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Wood or thatch roof is works well. Many don't like the idea... but there are ways to make it work... our roof in the US is cedar shakes.... no insulation in the attic... hot and humid climate .... makes a difference.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Old55 said:

Is your roof vented?

A simple mod would be adding a couple solar powered or powered attic fans to circulate that hot air out.

When we had our roof replaced after the typhoon we placed a solar powered fan at each end.  One fan pulls fresh air in, the other pulls the hot air out. 

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Cover the roof with solar panes they will reflect the sun light and give you free electric. win win problem solved.:tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, jimeve said:

Cover the roof with solar panes they will reflect the sun light and give you free electric. win win problem solved.:tiphat:

It's a great idea, but quite expensive.

Viking
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Mike J said:

When we had our roof replaced after the typhoon we placed a solar powered fan at each end.  One fan pulls fresh air in, the other pulls the hot air out. 

I am thinking of installing an attic fan but I can't decide if I shall go with a solar powered or the Whirlybird type ( same as in Jacks  post)?

What model are your solar powered fans? Are you happy with them?

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 3/26/2023 at 11:24 AM, BLM said:

The upstairs at my place gets very hot in the afternoon even with the AC going full blast. The lower sections stay cool. The heat is radiating down from the ceiling. I wonder if they didn't put ant insulation or that isn't done here. It's a slanted roof with maybe 6 to 8 inches of space between the ceiling and roof metal.

Instead of tearing up the ceiling to install insulation I'd like to find out if anyone has any solutions or tried things to insulate from the inside, like ceiling tiles of some kind.  I can't paint the roof white because the homeowners association forbids any color other than burgundy. 

13 Oct 21 house.jpg

I just bought something called radiant barrier foil. Looks like aluminum foil, very thin. It can be placed right on top of your ceiling and it is said to reflect much of the radiant heat. I haven't had time to install it yet so I can't say how effective it is. One roll costed me 6500 pesos, 60 m long and 4 ft wide.