Head Scratching Event

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

The other day our neighbour went to fill up her Fortuner - it's the last petrol model produced.  The attendant filled it with diesel.  Not the worst thing in the world but still a pain? Don't start it, just drain it, flush it a couple of times then start again, time consuming but not catastrophic.

Well that's not happened.  The engine was still running while it was being filled, the tank was nearly empty at the time.  The owner then proceeded to drive to Bais and the car stopped after about 20kms.  She called her son who's actually pretty handy with cars and he worked out pretty quickly what had happened just by the smell coming from the fuel tank and a quick inspection of the fuel lines. 

The diesel had made its way through the entire fuel system and engine.  Some lucky guy is going to take the whole thing apart and clean it all. Again, not catastrophic but not a good time either. 

What confounded me is she's not even going to say anything to the service station in question.  She's had the car since new so it's not as if she accidentally said diesel but my guess is that the attendant doesn't see too may petrol Fortuners and wrongly assumed diesel. 

I've never driven a diesel here so not taken much notice but do they not have the different sized and coloured nozzles on the bowsers here?  In most countries you wouldn't be able to fit the nozzle into the fill point. 

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I've never driven a diesel here so not taken much notice but do they not have the different sized and coloured nozzles on the bowsers here?

Have seen different colored nozzles but all having the same size filler spouts.

Have to watch carefully which nozzle is picked up off the pump as the gas lines can (and often are) hung on the wrong hook.

Edited by Lee
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I use one Shell filling station only and the attendants ALWAYS confirms which fuel I want and shows me the 'tent' sign to double confirm.  

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I use one Shell filling station only and the attendants ALWAYS confirms which fuel I want and shows me the 'tent' sign to double confirm.  

Same here at my regular Petron.  They bring the sign to you and confirm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

Same here at my regular Petron.  They bring the sign to you and confirm.

Yeah, the service station in question in my OP does the same thing normally so I was somewhat surprised. 

I think why I'm scratching my head is the fact the owner of the Fortuner is not going to take any action or at least claim the cost of the engine clean. 

P_X
Posted
Posted

That sucks for your neighbor.  

I guess she could go back and complain but it probably wouldn't do any good? 

I've wondered about this type of stuff in the past when things have happened to me. 

I fell in a wet spot in 711 and broke my ankle about a month ago.  In the states if that happened there'd be some sort of recourse.

Here is seems you're lucky to get an "I'm sorry" 😂 

• Like 3

skippyscage
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, P_X said:

Here is seems you're lucky to get an "I'm sorry" 😂 

if you say I'm sorry, even the most heinous crimes are forgiven - it's madness

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Yeah, the service station in question in my OP does the same thing normally so I was somewhat surprised. 

I think why I'm scratching my head is the fact the owner of the Fortuner is not going to take any action or at least claim the cost of the engine clean. 

17 hours ago, Possum said:

Perhaps the owner has previous experience with the legal system here.

Or the owner knows that the attendant may well get fired and that's a potential enemy or enemies made and a filling station that she won't be able to use in the future.  

• Like 4