Do-it-yourselfer here.

Clermont
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Balisidar said:

So my wife and I looked up some plumbers who were working on a house next to us.  I had looked at their work and was satisfied they were competent.  Arranged for them to do the work on one of their days off and paid them a couple of thousand pesos for the jobs. I didn't sweat and labor, we got new plumbing and they got extra money to take home to their families.  We kept their phone numbers in case we need them in the future.

Yes I am the same as you, hands on but since being over here I don't do anything, I check the tradesmen work out and if their good they can do it.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

If it's something I can do myself I'd prefer to as long as I have the time.  I'm actually in the process of doing some painting work which I could easily get someone to do but I quite enjoy doing it and I know how good (or bad!) a job I'll do.  

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I enjoy DIY , just decorating a bedroom at the moment , infact I’m waiting for the undercoat to dry before I put on the top coat , wallpaper up and waiting for that to dry too, but everything now takes a little longer and if I’m on my knees painting the skirting boards I have to do a parachute roll to something that I can pull myself up sometimes 

• Haha 5

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm a hands on guy myself and unfortunately due to seeing so many bad tradesmen here I find it's less stressful for myself just to do it.

Maybe I've just struck unlucky but even recommended tradesmen that have turned up I've had to redo most jobs or I've wasted half a day or longer waiting for them to arrive at the promised time. 

My final deal breaker was a few who I tried to help out by giving little jobs to, started extracting the urine with prices. Jobs I initially paid just over 2k for they started quoting 4.5k. Even my neighbour mentioned how they've started bumping prices up for her. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The nice thing about us "do it yourselfers" is we still know crap work when we see it.  And that is true even if we are too old, stiff, and sore to do it ourselves.  Have had the entire plumbing and electric torn out and replaced in two houses.   Quality work and very reasonable labor prices when you get dependable skilled workers.  Finding those workers can be the difficult part of the job.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

The nice thing about us "do it yourselfers" is we still know crap work when we see it.  And that is true even if we are too old, stiff, and sore to do it ourselves.  Have had the entire plumbing and electric torn out and replaced in two houses.   Quality work and very reasonable labor prices when you get dependable skilled workers.  Finding those workers can be the difficult part of the job.

And even when you have found one it can go South - we used a guy a couple of times before for aluminium window work and he did a very good job.  This time not so much.  As far as I can see he simply has too many projects on the go at once and as such cannot cope and is dependent on the quality of the guys he hires but we hired him, not them so that's been an issue.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 5/13/2024 at 10:16 AM, Balisidar said:

I had looked at their work and was satisfied they were competent. 

That's the key phrase! Then, as others already mentioned, you need to watch, even the better ones, to confirm they are doing what you want and the way you want it. I get tired of chasing some quality workers who, when faced with something they are not familiar with, get creative. I have experienced a few broken tools or parts as a result of "creativity."

• Like 2