Cagayan De Oro Expats Scholarship Program

daisy
Posted
Posted

Come June 2009, CDO Expats Community will be launching its High School Scholarship Program. We will start with 10 students from Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School (MOGCHS) located at Velez Street, CDO. Mike Farrell said that Expats CDO will shoulder 5 scholars taken from their 100 pesos weekly contributions. For the past 10 years, they've been supporting an orphanage in the city, among others! This project is being planned and organized by the CDO Expats' Ladies Charities! Pledges are welcome! 11_12_14[1].gif CHEERS!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Great to hear that you are helping to make the Philippines a better place. You deserve a hand. :13_4_10[1]: You can count my wife and I Daisy. We will see you in March to donate. :thumbsup: This emoticon is great but it should say, Let's all make a difference. :thumbsup:

Edited by Mr. Lee

daisy
Posted
Posted (edited)
Great to hear that you are helping to make the Philippines a better place. You deserve a hand. :lol: You can count my wife and I Daisy. We will see you in March to donate. :( This emoticon is great but it should say, Let's all make a difference. :welcome:
Thanks Lee. I mentioned your pledged to the ladies.... yours plus 2 from tropical.com, its 8 now. We are almost there. By the way we are looking forward for Nila to join our group! Here we are.....in the house of Paul and Cherry Ann Edwards (the preggy lady in white and black dress)

post-70-1225286780_thumb.jpg

post-70-1225289405_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boss Man
Removed links

daisy
Posted
Posted

Another pictures during one of our meetings at Spooks KTV Bar (TGIF) CDO Expats style! 23_11_60[2].gif

post-70-1225288737_thumb.jpg

post-70-1225288885_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
daisy
Posted
Posted

A of B will sponsor one student and the money is on the way to CDO :th_interesting: ....Thanks L.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

How are the scholarship recipients selected and who makes the selections? Are the selections made based on need, academic achievement, or other criteria?

daisy
Posted
Posted
How are the scholarship recipients selected and who makes the selections? Are the selections made based on need, academic achievement, or other criteria?
Project : CDO EXPATS SCHOLARSHIP FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT Rationale: With the growing economic crunch in the country, the government has allowed the collection of fees from students enrolling in government high schools. In many of our national high schools in the city and in the country in general, many good students cannot enroll because they cannot afford the fees. These students, who have potentials as good leaders may not be able to even finish high school due to poverty. With some financial assistance , we could make a difference in the lives of these young men and women and their families. MECHANICS: CDO Expats Ladies Charities will look for donors who are willing to support a scholar in the high school. Each scholar will cost Php 4,000.00 per year broken down as follows: Registration and other fees......................... Php 400.00 Uniform and logistics....................................... 600.00 Monthly allowance of 300pesos X 10 months......3,000.00Total..........................................................4,000.00 Initially, we aim to support at least 10 scholars from Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School (MOGCHS) because of our close contact with the school and the community. In the future, we aim to include other national high schools. Screening will be done by the CDO Expats Ladies Charities with the recommendation of the school ( adviser/guidance counselor). Awards will be based on the following criteria: Academic standing 40% ( Report Card) Financial Need 40% ( Income Tax/ Equivalent) Character/ Personality 20% ( Recommendation/Interview) Awards will be given at the start of the school year ( June 2009) and renewable every year depending on the same criteria for screening. Each donor will be assigned a scholar /s and will be given an update of his/her performance bi-annually. Thank you 'TheMason'...hope you will sponsor one student. Again, one student one sponsor policy. But we dont limit you to sponsor more than one........11_12_14[1].gifCHEERS!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Project : CDO EXPATS SCHOLARSHIP FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT Rationale: With the growing economic crunch in the country, the government has allowed the collection of fees from students enrolling in government high schools. In many of our national high schools in the city and in the country in general, many good students cannot enroll because they cannot afford the fees. These students, who have potentials as good leaders may not be able to even finish high school due to poverty. With some financial assistance , we could make a difference in the lives of these young men and women and their families. MECHANICS: CDO Expats Ladies Charities will look for donors who are willing to support a scholar in the high school. Each scholar will cost Php 4,000.00 per year broken down as follows: Registration and other fees......................... Php 400.00 Uniform and logistics....................................... 600.00 Monthly allowance of 300pesos X 10 months......3,000.00Total..........................................................4,000.00 Initially, we aim to support at least 10 scholars from Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School (MOGCHS) because of our close contact with the school and the community. In the future, we aim to include other national high schools. Screening will be done by the CDO Expats Ladies Charities with the recommendation of the school ( adviser/guidance counselor). Awards will be based on the following criteria: Academic standing 40% ( Report Card) Financial Need 40% ( Income Tax/ Equivalent) Character/ Personality 20% ( Recommendation/Interview) Awards will be given at the start of the school year ( June 2009) and renewable every year depending on the same criteria for screening. Each donor will be assigned a scholar /s and will be given an update of his/her performance bi-annually. Thank you 'TheMason'...hope you will sponsor one student. Again, one student one sponsor policy. But we dont limit you to sponsor more than one........11_12_14[1].gifCHEERS!
Daisy, I have a question. Does your group pay the money to the school and then dole out the monthly allowance to the scholar, or do you give it all at one time to the student?The reason I have asked this is, I would not suggest giving all the money at one time from personal experience with my wife's family. I have found that most poor people do not know how to handle money and the minute they get it into their hands, their families will be attacking like flies on a poop, to get their share and the money will never last one month, no less one school year. Please tell me that you dole it out monthly! and if you don't, may I suggest that you start now. As you know I am in for one so far.

daisy
Posted
Posted
Daisy, I have a question. Does your group pay the money to the school and then dole out the monthly allowance to the scholar, or do you give it all at one time to the student?The reason I have asked this is, I would not suggest giving all the money at one time from personal experience with my wife's family. I have found that most poor people do not know how to handle money and the minute they get it into their hands, their families will be attacking like flies on a poop, to get their share and the money will never last one month, no less one school year. Please tell me that you dole it out monthly! and if you don't, may I suggest that you start now. As you know I am in for one so far.
Hi Lee!Yes, that will be the mechanics, to give the allowance on a monthly basis. Even the 1000 pesos will be taken cared by the ladies...we will pay whatever is the school obligation and the rest for their uniforms and school supplies. Thanks for your support!CHEERS!Daisy

• 2 weeks later...
daisy
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Officers of the EXPATS' LADIES CHARITIES as a result of our meeting last January 20, 2009 at Food Loof LKKS Mall. President ....................Daisy Cline V-President ................ Cherry Ann Edwards Secretary ....................Jeaneth Albar Treasurer ................... Epril Wrinkle Auditor ......................Jane Honeycutt PIO ...........................Biema Gonzaga MontgomeryHigh School Scholarship Program, chaired by Rio JoOutreach Program, chaired by Marissa TurnerWe also amended our name and deleted the CDO in it because we also have members coming from Iligan City and Bukidnon not to mention that we existed because of the benevolence of our online sponsors. Some members also are not yet sure where they will be located the moment their SOs will come to Philippines for good. Thus, our high school scholars will be known as Philippine EXPATS Scholars.This site will also be our official site until we can make our own.Here's hoping that our little endeavor will make a difference! CHEERS!11_12_14[1].gifFor the meantime here are the donations I received:Bundle of clothings from CDO Expats and Jim Cunningham of Talakag, Bukidnon who also gave 1000 pesos for the flood victims in Alubijid, Misamis Oriental. 2500 pesos from Martin and Yvonne Rademakers.

Edited by tweety