Where Do You Live, Where Have You Lived, Where Would You Like To Live?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Where do you live, where have you lived, where would you like to live?In an attempt to get to know each other better and to better understand members comments on posts, it could be helpful to know what part of the world, or countries that members have lived and how they liked it there or why they left or want to leave. We all seem to seek a better life and maybe we can learn from each other because I think it might be human nature to think that the grass is greener in the other persons pasture. What is so special to you about your part of the Philippines and why did you pick it to live now or in your future?

Markham
Posted
Posted

In the UK I lived in a house overlooking Fishguard Bay and the Presceli Mountains. In Cebu I live in an apartment overlooking the cities, the port and Mactan. So rather similar. But here I have decent weather, a better standard of living and a beautiful girlfriend.Fishguard or Cebu? Oh hard choice..... NOT!Mark

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Mark, I think I can sort of relate to what you say but in a totally different way.In Florida, USA we live far away from the ocean because I could only dream of being able to afford a condo near the ocean, yet in Cebu we have a great view of the ocean and the port, as well as Mactan Island and Bohol in the far distance from our condo.The weather in both places are similar and I have my wife with me wherever we go, but in Cebu I am the foreigner who seems to get respect and in Florida I am also the foreigner, but in my own country and often surrounded by people who seem to respect no one and no laws. :13_4_10[1]: I grew up and watched the country deteriorate to where laws are no longer followed and people win lawsuits instead of rotting in jail for crimes they commit, and the rights of the few are worried more about than the rights of the many, and someday it will all unravel and I can only hope that we are fully moved to the Philippines when that day comes. :7_4_17[1]:

• Like 2

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

In the UK I lived in a beautiful Shropshire town, Bishop's Castle (pop 1800), in a 3 storied Georgian townhouse I virtually rebuilt. I moved there 7 years previously from Surrey having worked in London for 25 years and retired from the rat race.A failing marriage started me travelling about and I lived in India for a while and Thailand in between trips back to the UK and also visited Cambodia, Laos and the Philippines. Upon final breakdown of the marriage and divorce I chose the Philippines as being the closest I could get to maintain a pleasant lifstyle in comfort and saftey with the other advantages I had become used to in SE Asia.Have travelled about the islands, Cebu City gives me the facilities I need. Good housing, restaurants, airport, shipping hub, nightlife and expats. You name it and it can usually be found - other than currey leaves, lol. It's not cheap but certainly cannot be compared to the UK cost of living. Most importantly I would not have the pleasure of being with my beautiful SO who makes the rest of it rather incidental.

paul
Posted
Posted

I'm living exactly where I wish to live, in my favorite country in the world.I have lived in 9 countries over the years, some short time, others longer. So, I will not go into that. But, I am one of the fortunate few, who are living where their heart lies. Unfortunately, I feel as though many people cannot, or will not take the step to move where they would be the happiest. I will not let anything make me stray from my happiness. Life is too short for that.

• Like 2

wallyperrier
Posted
Posted

i live in belgiumand will live soon in philippines :13_4_10[1]: :7_4_17[1]: :7_4_17[1]:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I used to live in the USA, Portland Oregon to be exact. It was nice, but I enjoy life (and love) in the Philippines much more. Baguio City in Luzon is my favorite place because of the temperature and mountains. So that's where I hang my hat. I wouldn't mind having a small beach house. If transport wasn't such a pain (and I had enough money) I'd put up a place on the beach in Bantayan Island, simply because I find the people there so friendly and it where my sweetheart is from. For convenience, I guess a little beach shack someplace around La Union would be nice since that is only an hour or so drive from the mountains. Then it would be the best of both worlds, hot weather and a big ocean or cool breezes and mountain views, all within a short drive of each other. Rough, eh?

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I used to live in the USA, Portland Oregon to be exact. It was nice, but I enjoy life (and love) in the Philippines much more. Baguio City in Luzon is my favorite place because of the temperature and mountains. So that's where I hang my hat. I wouldn't mind having a small beach house. If transport wasn't such a pain (and I had enough money) I'd put up a place on the beach in Bantayan Island, simply because I find the people there so friendly and it where my sweetheart is from. For convenience, I guess a little beach shack someplace around La Union would be nice since that is only an hour or so drive from the mountains. Then it would be the best of both worlds, hot weather and a big ocean or cool breezes and mountain views, all within a short drive of each other. Rough, eh?
Sounds good to me, how long have you lived in the Philippines? xmastree.gif Edit, sorry you have already answered that question in the introductions forum, anyway you must be still happy with life in RP

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

I am from the US origanily from Texas. Also lived in California, Guam, Hawaii(for 10 years) great place but to expensive and finally Arizona. I say finally because my next home will be in Cebu. In the Philippines I lived in Subic Bay (ok not in the bay but in Olongapo) and Angeles City. I've visited Manila, Baguio, Cebu, Tacloban and Biliran. Cebu seems to have all the things I am looking for but I will reexamine that once I live there permanently.

James
Posted
Posted

I am one of the lucky ones that gets to live in the UK and also in Cebu, my business allows me to live pretty much any place and its always a pleasure to be in anyone of our houses as they all feel like home to me. Thank god my wife loves British style as I enjoy the colonial style and have kitted each house out with the same basic It equipment and entertainment gear as well, even the beds feel the same, so any place I lay my head hmmm sounds like a song. Mind you I would love to live nearer the sea but then again I also love the hills so its one or the other.James