Computers

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

A few questions, how do you manage to get them into the country to "give them away"? In other words, customs...I had thought of doing this same thing awhile back as I had a line on a couple hundred computers that just needed the hardrives as they were taken out before making them available. Since I didn't have the info fast enough to commit, i missed them, but never did find out the info. If customs could be eliminated from the picture, then I have some sources, or at least had some sources for getting plenty of them. If shipped in a container, the cost per unit would be low. Jim

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
A few questions, how do you manage to get them into the country to "give them away"? In other words, customs...I had thought of doing this same thing awhile back as I had a line on a couple hundred computers that just needed the hardrives as they were taken out before making them available. Since I didn't have the info fast enough to commit, i missed them, but never did find out the info. If customs could be eliminated from the picture, then I have some sources, or at least had some sources for getting plenty of them. If shipped in a container, the cost per unit would be low. Jim
Then maybe we can work something out jim depending which country they are coming from. There has just been a shipment sent from London in the last few weeks with 40+ PCs which are the new type TFT with the PC built onto the back of the monitor. Hard drives can be an issue due to cost unless we can get another supplier. As using software like KillDisk will wipe them. Either that or cutting a deal with a 2nd hand PC store for getting 20gb+ drives and paying a little.. Customs wise i dont think its a problem as its not us Kanos getting them into RP :SugarwareZ-037: But regarding software etc.. maybe can organise something from Microsoft or someone else to cut a deal on this as a PR thing for them and a benefit to the schools. Regarding the internet etc. will have to look at it on a community basis and see what can be done.. e.g. maybe a couple of computers available for internet use outside school hours for payments..Training i think there is enough of us lying around RP to teach people up. Im an EngTech and no doubt there are web designers, network engineers etc. amongst us even if its at home level we arent talking national networking here. Any school can put theyre name down :1 (235): but hopefully what will be happening is shipments will goto Manila then Cebu and collections can be made from Cebu for the schools or the people who are putting people forward for the donations. Will try get our first batch and sort the issues out from there hopefully each next batch gets smoother.

paul
Posted
Posted
Any particular school you have in mind Paul?
Hi Matt, Sorry for the late reply. I have been working on some sites, databases, etc, and trying to grab a J&C in the process. :36_1_50[1]: I think you know the drill. Anyway, I have a couple of them here, of which I am directly involved, that may appreciate the assistance. Let me know what I need to do on my end, and I will see that it gets done. Thanks mate,Paul

twostrokes
Posted
Posted
Then maybe we can work something out jim depending which country they are coming from. There has just been a shipment sent from London in the last few weeks with 40+ PCs which are the new type TFT with the PC built onto the back of the monitor. Hard drives can be an issue due to cost unless we can get another supplier. As using software like KillDisk will wipe them. Either that or cutting a deal with a 2nd hand PC store for getting 20gb+ drives and paying a little.. Customs wise i dont think its a problem as its not us Kanos getting them into RP :)
These unit would be coming out of Texas in the USA.. Mostly from local high schools and community college when they do upgrades...I know the folks that run the auctions that have the contracts with the schools..I'll do some more checking around and see what is coming up in the future....Will get back with you if something is in the mill.Jim

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
Then maybe we can work something out jim depending which country they are coming from. There has just been a shipment sent from London in the last few weeks with 40+ PCs which are the new type TFT with the PC built onto the back of the monitor. Hard drives can be an issue due to cost unless we can get another supplier. As using software like KillDisk will wipe them. Either that or cutting a deal with a 2nd hand PC store for getting 20gb+ drives and paying a little.. Customs wise i dont think its a problem as its not us Kanos getting them into RP :23_11_59[1]:
These unit would be coming out of Texas in the USA.. Mostly from local high schools and community college when they do upgrades...I know the folks that run the auctions that have the contracts with the schools..I'll do some more checking around and see what is coming up in the future....Will get back with you if something is in the mill.Jim
Hi Jim, Sorry didnt get back to you sooner.. the only problem might be is getting someone to take them out of the U.S. but ill have a word with a friend since theyre all pretty well networked together to move shipments.