The American Legion - May 11, 2010 Newsletter Extract

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mojave cross torn down by vandals .... May, 11th. 2010Less than two weeks after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that, for now, the Mojave Desert cross could remain in its location, vandals have torn down the memorial to World War I veterans from its location, leaving only the bolts in Sunrise Rock as evidence of the Cross.....UK Tom ..... bemused :541: !?!

post-688-12737940838256_thumb.jpg

Edited by Singers

• 4 months later...
Jack
Posted
Posted
Mojave cross torn down by vandals .... May, 11th. 2010Less than two weeks after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that, for now, the Mojave Desert cross could remain in its location, vandals have torn down the memorial to World War I veterans from its location, leaving only the bolts in Sunrise Rock as evidence of the Cross.....UK Tom ..... bemused :( !?!
This goes to show veterans of all wars are not really respected by many people. The Supreme Court is hearing the case of the father of the Marine killed in Afganistan of people picketing the funeral of the Marine. Sounds like the justices are trying to find a way to side with the father without hurting the 1st Amendment. Hope they do as it is not right or even humane to do this to someones family in this time of loss.

Jack
Posted
Posted

This goes to show that some people do not respect the service of members of their communities. It seems that now that all WW1 veterans are gone it is ok to tear down a monument to their bravery.In another case the Supreme Court is now hearing the case of the Church picketing the funeral of servicemembers killed in action from Iraq and Afaganistan. Signs such as I'm glad the member is dead to more servicemembers should die there. The Court seems to be leaning toward the father of the Marine who was killed and funeral picketed. The are trying to balance the 1st Amendment rights against decency for victims rights. The signs the show that they are glad the servicemember is dead, signs saying they want more killed, etc. We all need to watch this Courts decision of the rights of privacy vs 1st Admendments rights. Should have a decision by spring.

Jack
Posted
Posted
Mojave cross torn down by vandals .... May, 11th. 2010Less than two weeks after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that, for now, the Mojave Desert cross could remain in its location, vandals have torn down the memorial to World War I veterans from its location, leaving only the bolts in Sunrise Rock as evidence of the Cross.....UK Tom ..... bemused :( !?!
This goes to show veterans of all wars are not really respected by many people. The Supreme Court is hearing the case of the father of the Marine killed in Afganistan of people picketing the funeral of the Marine. Sounds like the justices are trying to find a way to side with the father without hurting the 1st Amendment. Hope they do as it is not right or even humane to do this to someones family in this time of loss.

Jake
Posted
Posted
This goes to show that some people do not respect the service of members of their communities. It seems that now that all WW1 veterans are gone it is ok to tear down a monument to their bravery.In another case the Supreme Court is now hearing the case of the Church picketing the funeral of servicemembers killed in action from Iraq and Afaganistan. Signs such as I'm glad the member is dead to more servicemembers should die there. The Court seems to be leaning toward the father of the Marine who was killed and funeral picketed. The are trying to balance the 1st Amendment rights against decency for victims rights. The signs the show that they are glad the servicemember is dead, signs saying they want more killed, etc. We all need to watch this Courts decision of the rights of privacy vs 1st Admendments rights. Should have a decision by spring.
Hey, I hear ya Marine. More and more liberals (govt officials, appeals court, special interest groups) have raped the real meaning of freedom of speech. But yet, we offer our lives to protect those same rights even though they spit on us sometimes.I salute you sir -- Jake

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

Story one, the Mojave cross, is a tough one in some respects. Personally, I would just leave the cross there because what's done is done. But if I gave my life in war, not being a religious person, I might be peeved if someone used religious images to remember me. I wonder if they couldn't have compromised and agreed to build something more "American" and less "Christian" on public land? Just my opinion. Still... the vandals are wrong. The fight is for the courts. Story two is ridiculous. First Amendment covers hate speech? Maybe it's just because I'm Canadian, but I think hate speech is a crime. Isn't it the same in America? The father makes a good point when he asks how the court would feel if someone brought a sign to their mother's funeral that said "Thank God the Slut is Dead." But a better comparison is what would happen in America if someone showed up at an African-American soldier's funeral with signs that said, "God Hates (N-word)"? There's NOOOOOO WAYYYYYY that would be legal. Is there? Sorry for the comparison, but that's really the example the father should be using. It's not hard to argue what they're saying is hate speech when the word "hate" is in the sign. And if someone says they were far enough away, ask yourself, is hate speech ever acceptable in public?Anyways... I'm shocked that hate speech is protected. Is it that difficult to edit the sign to say, "No gays in Military" ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t_V_7U8qdc&feature=related

Edited by ekimswish